Should I dose more tropic marine for rising PH and falling alkalinity?

Sidsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed my ph was off and so I dosed some seachem PH buffer and got results immediately and tank has sustained a good PH since then. More recently I noticed my alkalinity has been falling but my PH is rising. As much as I know and I’m here to learn but usually when PH is up past 8.20 alkalinity should be up also???

fix for this
a water change?
Dose more tropic Marin all for reef?
Maybe re calibration of some probes?

picture of apex results
A54602AA-54BE-4384-9F36-D99D1D8115BB.jpeg

OP
OP
Sidsreef

Sidsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed my ph was off and so I dosed some seachem PH buffer and got results immediately and tank has sustained a good PH since then. More recently I noticed my alkalinity has been falling but my PH is rising. As much as I know and I’m here to learn but usually when PH is up past 8.20 alkalinity should be up also???

fix for this
a water change?
Dose more tropic Marin all for reef?
Maybe re calibration of some probes?

picture of apex results
A54602AA-54BE-4384-9F36-D99D1D8115BB.jpeg
Blue is PH Orange is alkalinity

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which product exactly did you add? Seachem has several

pH rises during the day falls at night.
if you had a low pH issue, and wanted to help solve it by adding a high pH alk supplement, the Seachem alk supplements are not what I would recommend.

OP
OP
Sidsreef

Sidsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

if you had a low pH issue, and wanted to help solve it by adding a high pH alk supplement, the Seachem alk supplements are not what I would recommend.
I’m trying to take this slowly and do one thing at a time cause I don’t want to do a whole lot and cause multiple problems. So the other day I did the PH buffer. Then yesterday I checked salinity and was at 1.024 so I bumped it up to 1.026 yesterday. However my results are getting worse I’ll attach my apex results for ya

4D9B4A69-6678-4B24-8FF7-5BE42C3D0CB8.jpeg

PH in blue Alk in orange for a comparison

the system is new but the rock is a year old and some other rocks are about 15 years old cycled bacteria

OP
OP
Sidsreef

Sidsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Another piece of information that I forgot to leave out. My pH was slowly creeping back down to the 7.76 range and I didn’t want my corals to be fried because the water being too acidic so I added a CO2 scrubber and stopped with the pH buffer because I wanted to see if the CO2 scrubber would slowly creep up my pH, which it has been and I intend to stop using the CO2 scrubber to see if my pH will sustain after, stability has been reached. To be honest I’m really not trying to chase numbers here but I also kind of have to to ensure my tank doesn’t get too acidic.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back