Should I get a Controller?

Elsa Vasquez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m new to the hobby and will be starting up a new Lagoon 25 reef soon. Now I can’t decide whether to get a controller or not AND if I do which one should I get? Tunze smartcontroller 7000 or Apex jr??! Has anyone tried both? If soo which do you prefer?? Thanks in advance!

hijinks7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex is the best.. If you are worried about the status of your tank then yes you should. Heaters can break or get stuck on and pumps can die. Controllers to me are more about insurance. I run a big tank so I have more money into it then a 25g tank. Its just if you see the investment or not as worth it.

OP
OP
Elsa Vasquez

Elsa Vasquez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex is the best.. If you are worried about the status of your tank then yes you should. Heaters can break or get stuck on and pumps can die. Controllers to me are more about insurance. I run a big tank so I have more money into it then a 25g tank. Its just if you see the investment or not as worth it.

If I could I would have gotten a 125g lol but I’m still in an apt soo for now unfortunately space is limited. Once I get my house I will definitely be upgrading [emoji1] do you have an apex?

hijinks7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My advice, if its in your budget is get an apex, if you think you'll upgrade. ya I run a classic but working on contributing to a do it yourself controller.. if that doesn't work out going to just buy the new model since it has a lot of nice features mine doesn't have

OP
OP
Elsa Vasquez

Elsa Vasquez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advise!! I’ll definitely start saving lol. I’ve done a lot of research in the past year regarding this tank and one thing I’ve definitely learned through other refers is “you get what you pay for” sooo definitely investing in the best [emoji4]

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A nice little controller that won't break the bank and doesn't require programming language knowledge is ReefKeeper Lite.

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For that size tank an apex jr would be perfect. You can control your light, heater and a couple of powerheads while monitoring your temp and you could get notified of a power outage.

I started with an apex jr. then upgraded to an apex classic and will probably upgrade to a ghl profilux 4 next.

OP
OP
Elsa Vasquez

Elsa Vasquez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes
For that size tank an apex jr would be perfect. You can control your light, heater and a couple of powerheads while monitoring your temp and you could get notified of a power outage.

I started with an apex jr. then upgraded to an apex classic and will probably upgrade to a ghl profilux 4 next.[/QUOT

I started with an apex jr. then upgraded to an apex classic and will probably upgrade to a ghl profilux 4 next.
Nice!! I definitely will be upgrading to a bigger tank in the near future but for now looks like Itll be the apex jr

Aaron Atkinson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you’ll be really happy with the apex. A little learning curve and customer service and the support forums are good.

Maggie321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will the apex notify in more than 1 way of a crisis situation? Example... The temp rises higher than it should. Can it send emails to 2 different places? Or can it send a text and an email?

Aaron Atkinson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set it up to get both a text and an email. Even added my wife. She wasn’t entirely happy at first but she does live on that phone so I get quicker info.

Sorry, just clarifying you can send email and texts to multiple places.

OP
OP
Elsa Vasquez

Elsa Vasquez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you’ll be really happy with the apex. A little learning curve and customer service and the support forums are good.
I’m looking at both the classic and Jr and I’m thinking I should just get the regular one since I do plan on getting a bigger tank later... I just can’t let $800 go right now lol I will save up and maybe by mid year I can purchase it

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will the apex notify in more than 1 way of a crisis situation? Example... The temp rises higher than it should. Can it send emails to 2 different places? Or can it send a text and an email?

Yes it can send text and emails at the same time to as many emails and numbers you setup. Even better you can program it to do things like if your temp rises it can automatically kill the power to your heaters and turn off your lights to lower the temp even more.

I have an avast pressure switch I installed in my skimmer cup hooked up to my apex with a breakout box. If the skimmer cup gets full it will shut down the skimmer instead of overflowing into my sump and alert me. So many possibilities using an apex.

Screenshot_20171210-044923.png

Screenshot_20171210-044941.png

Screenshot_20171210-045010.png

Screenshot_20171210-045022.png

Rob77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should get a classic or new model !!!!!!!!!! you will be limited and regret a jr ........you will end up with as much $$$$ in a jr in the end and be limited to 7 modules ..... good luck with all

Clittrell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also go used. I have sold my classics online as well as eb8s. Don’t have any right now but the brain generally goes for around $175 and the eb8s go for around $110. Cords and probs are cheep. It seems like lots of people upgraded to the new one with Black Friday sales. Remember the eb8s will work with the new model just will not give you as much info as the 832. Can not go wrong with an apex.

ccerone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went from the Reef Keeper to the Apex Jr. I really like it but I should have gotten the classic. After adding on to it, I have now spent more money on it than just buying the classic upfront.

OP
OP
Elsa Vasquez

Elsa Vasquez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys!!! Definitely going to start saving for the new one lol. I know it’s pricey but totally worth getting plus I do plan on upgrading like I’ve said in my previous posts soo why not!!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure, if you go for the regular Apex to also get the lab grade probes. What Bulk Reef Supply and some of the other site for sales.

OP
OP
Elsa Vasquez

Elsa Vasquez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure, if you go for the regular Apex to also get the lab grade probes. What Bulk Reef Supply and some of the other site for sales.
Thank you but I think I just decided to save and get the new one lol. What additional equipment or probes if any would I need to get with the new apex?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back