Should I get a school of anthia or damsels?

calebthetanker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I want to get a school of lyretail anthias but people are saying they’re a handful. Should I consider a school of yellow tail or blue devil damsels instead or will that not work? Also why are the anthias a lot of work?

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anthias are considered to be a lot of work because they need 3-4 small feedings each day and pristine water quality. The school of damsels might work, but expect a lot of aggression. They would also not school for long, setting up their own territories apart from one another. Instead, I would get 6-7 scissortail dartfish. They school pretty well, and are about the most peaceful fish in the hobby. Just have a lid over the tank, as they are jumpers. I hope that this helps!

Upvote 0

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the feeding and how they feed. They require near constant feeding as that's how they live in the wild. They have a very high metabolism and also feed on planktonic matter in the water column. So it's definitely tricky. Some people feed them 6-7 times a day.

Upvote 0

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 anthias , in a 300 and they get feed twice a day and no issues...Had them almost a year
That's great. When I tried to taper down to fewer feedings I ran into problems with them not getting enough food. Ended up rehoming to a person with a 450g tank where they thrived.

Upvote 0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back