Should I get dry or live rock for my new salt water aquarium?

Alice81216

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a new tank like a week ago and I put reef sand and saltwater in my tank with a filter and I want to get a live rock or dry rock for my new aquarium I've never had a saltwater aquarium before so I want to know if live or dry rock is better for a beginner?

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This my opinion
I’ve never used dry rock always use live rock. Fill your tank then put your live rock in and let it cycle might cycle quickly with using live rock . Live rock is a filter in it self . People have ran tanks on live rock couple of power heads pointing at it . And a skimmer if larger tank . Imo if a small nano I don’t use skimmer just regular water changes . With dry rock your not getting any hitch hiker’s but over the years I’ve not had many with the live rock I have purchased just my opinion

Upvote 0

GatorGreg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dry rock or dry man made rock is absolutely not better for beginners in any way shape or form. It is cheaper. Way cheaper and also sustainable. So it’s become an allure for big tank reefers (because they buy so many pounds), eco conscious reefers, budget minded reefers and chicken little reefers (afraid of “pests”). If you don’t understand the nitrogen cycle. Cycling your tank with dry rock is going to be more complicated. You’ll probably be on here posting your API color chart asking questions about your cycle

There’s also a different between the live rocks. Was it just some rock that was wet that your LFS cycled and has had wet in a bin? This is better than dry rock. It will cycle your tank quickly and you won’t have to add ammonia or dead shrimp or any of that non sense.

Then there’s ocean rock which is superior in every way.

Upvote 0

codewon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a new tank like a week ago and I put reef sand and saltwater in my tank with a filter and I want to get a live rock or dry rock for my new aquarium I've never had a saltwater aquarium before so I want to know if live or dry rock is better for a beginner?
I would try CaribSea LifeRock its live rock but it doesn’t have any pests

Upvote 0

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is hard to answer that question. Everyone is different and may have different answers to this. I have done both and fine using dry rock. Live rock (cultured and live) makes a difference in maturing your tank faster. I have been in this hobby for a long time and have more patience now than when I first started. I am fine taking longer, watching the maturity cycle, testing the water weekly, watching for progress, etc.

Upvote 0

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upvote 0

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live rock or mixed.

All this live only rock is silly. Yes I agree you should have a good amount of live rock, but you can absolutely have dry rock too as long as you understand the rock will bind phosphate in the beginning.

Upvote 0

Matt1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
I was always a big believer in live rock and used it for every tank in the past 10 years. My most recent tank was dry rock from the start and I wish I went with live rock. You will get immediate stability, less/no algae, no cycle, and an immediate “mature” looking tank.

Dry rock looks like crap for months until things start growing on it. Then when things start growing they cover the rock in every type of algae under the sun. Took about 4 months for my system to stabilize where I was confident enough to add sps coral.

if I were to start up a large tank, my plan is a 360 gallon in the next year, I would do a mix of both. I would make a few larger dry rock structures then transfer all my very live current rock.

Upvote 0

GatorGreg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, didn’t really know a better way to explain it
Carib sea life rock is no different than the white dry rock BRS sells. In fact it may be worse. Its man made plaster painted purple. Gross.

live rock is wet. Live rock has life living on it and will pretty much instant cycle your tank. Depending on the time out of water and the die off.

Upvote 0

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then there’s ocean rock which is superior in every way.
Yeah - except for all the bad crap that comes on it too...

And since when is letting nitrifying baceteria and other fauna settle without bottle bacteria or piles of tampa bay pest filled rock "nonsense".

LOL

Upvote 0

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can find it and afford it live rock is always best .
A combination of both dry and live could work .
Do your research …. Ideally you want on average 1lb per gallon volume of nice porous live rock for biological filtration
Too much will only take away from the swimming space for livestock and too little will potentially not have the nitrifying capacity .

purchase a
Rodi water system ( assigning you already filled the tank with saltwater ( was it atore bought , or did you mix the water yourself ?

what size tank ?
Fyi . We always enjoy pictures of new tanks and upgrades . Feel free to post pictures

Upvote 0

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first tank used 1 pound per gallon Marco rock, half carib sea Fiji pink "live sand" half ocean direct live sand 1 pound per gallon. Turbo start in a bottle added to rodi water. I added pods from algae barn. I bought maybe 10 pounds of live rock 5 from a tank tear down that was clean and 5 pounds from Petco that was covered in Coraline algae. It took 6 months for the rocks in the tank to color up in my reef tank and my fowlr still doesn't have color. I still got pest hitch hiking in. If I had the money I would try the Tampa Bay route, I just couldn't afford it. Reef looks great now. The rocks will be a year old July.

Upvote 0

Acroconut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nano has done well with a combo of TBS live and some bleach cured rock from my old torn down 75 gal reef. Most of that old rock came from Tonga and Figi. Yes, I had a couple unwanted hitchhikers come in on the TBA. I also got a couple awesome blushing star corals that came in with that rock (as can be seen in my avitar). I'm planning a new and larger build, but will again use a combo of both types of rock.

Upvote 0

Subliminal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If where you are is like where I am look for local clubs and or Facebook marketplace and get some rock from locals. Maybe someone is tearing down a tank or maybe some n ie reefers will give you rubble from their sump. Anything to get the life going.

move only tried dry rock once and don’t plan on it again.

Upvote 0
Back