Should I get dry or live rock for my new salt water aquarium?

Alice81216

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a new tank like a week ago and I put reef sand and saltwater in my tank with a filter and I want to get a live rock or dry rock for my new aquarium I've never had a saltwater aquarium before so I want to know if live or dry rock is better for a beginner?

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used caribesea life rock for my redsea.its not live rock in any way shape or form & I'm highly dubious of the claims it contains any useful bacterial spores.cycling took a long time but I was in no rush.i favoured it purely because I liked the look & the only supply of live rock I could find in my somewhat rural location was from a very neglected tank & not worth the risk of critters & phos.if I had ideal scenarios I would have gone live rock but the caribesea gets compliments for its looks from the wife lol.
You will be fine - take your time and enjoy watching the tank mature. No matter which way you start, things take time and there will be setbacks. Part of dealing with those setbacks is learning how to maintain a healthy reef.

Upvote 0

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Several posts have been removed. Please remember to abide by the TOS and if you have a problem with someone to report them to the mod team for review. Name calling, arguing and trolling one another will lead to account limitations. Thank you.

Upvote 0

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also let me add that debate and disagreement is welcome here but arguing, and belittling will not be tolerated. I have removed a few more posts as well and some of it contained some good info but was laced with offending comments. We appreciate you all being members here but R2R is not going to be a wild west of comments like other social media platforms. Thank you.

Upvote 0

Ryebreadiest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best thing I did when returning to the hobby last year was put 10 pounds of overnighted, shipped in water KP Aquatics live rock in my nano. Dipped the rock in 1.040 salt water to scare out any pests (just a pistol shrimp and a few brittle stars), put it in the tank, and had my first corals in a few days later.

With regular water changes I’ve never had diatoms, cyano, any algae of note, it’s been so smooth. I’ll be upgrading to a larger tank soon and plan on repeating the process.

Upvote 0

Redshadow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you dont mind spending the extra money id totally suggest getting live rock from KP aquatics. Their live rock is second to none.

Upvote 0

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I miss Walt Smith, 45 pounds of stinky figi dropped on your doorstep for a buck and a half.

I just ran across this picture tonight from our old reef club. I would kill for just one of these boxes.

2893picture_061-out_460.jpg

Upvote 0

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m far less experienced than many here, but I like to roll with a combination of dry rock and rock from a mature system. I haven’t used ocean rock since the early 2000s, things were very different back then.

Don’t go full fry rock, whatever you do.

Upvote 0

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His question was. What is better for new reefers.

if he uses dry rock and your method. His post history will be this.

* why is my cycle stalled.

*is my tank cycled.

*what is this algae.

*is this Dino’s

*please ID this Dino

Disappear and no longer post. Probably tear down tank.

Go through the threads and it will back up my theory. Dry rock gives most new reefers trouble. I’ve lived it

I’ve gotten dinos with Fiji rock back in the day, straight off the boat. I’m not sure it’s that simple.

Cured and matured seem like the real goals, not ocean vs dry.

Upvote 0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back