OP
OP
ReefSakes

ReefSakes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The buy on the tank is nice, but be careful about a big tank in the garage. I have a not-so-big 4' 90-gal in my basement garage, and even though I spend a lot of time down there, it really doesn't get the attention it deserves.

Proximity to your inside main DT is important. Think about water changes, ambient temperature changes, evaporation and the humidity generated in your garage etc. Things can be very different in a garage. Do you spray paint projects there, create wood dust? There's a lot to think about.

I have found my garage tank is best used as a "utility tank" where I experiment with new equipment, try new aquascapes and best of all, don't care if I make a mess on the floor. But man!!!, that's a big tank to maintain in a garage.
One of the main reason why I am kind of saying away from a bigger system in the house is that I don't want to potentially make a mess in the house and ruin my wife's precious floor lol. But yes I definitely know what you mean. However I do spend alot of time in the garage.

20201202_223527.jpg 20201202_223544.jpg

OP
OP
ReefSakes

ReefSakes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The buy on the tank is nice, but be careful about a big tank in the garage. I have a not-so-big 4' 90-gal in my basement garage, and even though I spend a lot of time down there, it really doesn't get the attention it deserves.

Proximity to your inside main DT is important. Think about water changes, ambient temperature changes, evaporation and the humidity generated in your garage etc. Things can be very different in a garage. Do you spray paint projects there, create wood dust? There's a lot to think about.

I have found my garage tank is best used as a "utility tank" where I experiment with new equipment, try new aquascapes and best of all, don't care if I make a mess on the floor. But man!!!, that's a big tank to maintain in a garage.
All those are all valid points. Honestly it's all in the planning stage right now. I have options. We are planning to build a 60x40 shop/club house on our property in the next year or so. So that can also be an option. However that would really separate me from the system as the shop would be about 150' from our home. Might just make a bedroom there lol

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
peninsula's are the way to go. if your gonna do it. do it right from the get go. stay with what you have and plan the man cave for the next year...

or get the tank in question and use it for the sump for the mega build?
Agreed

we are about to move house and one of the requirements was that AT THE MINIMUM, I get to keep my current 180 in wall with basement fishroom.

we close on a house that offers the possibility of a 500g 8’ x30” peninsula style. I’m stoked. Will run the 180 against the dining room wall with the sump in cabinet for a year, and then do the upgrade. Big peninsula is a dream tank and I’m stoked. Lots of work between now and then rhough

Oh- and it’ll be a glass cages with 3 sides starfire glass. Already have it budgeted into our next years finances.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed

we are about to move house and one of the requirements was that AT THE MINIMUM, I get to keep my current 180 in wall with basement fishroom.

we close on a house that offers the possibility of a 500g 8’ x30” peninsula style. I’m stoked. Will run the 180 against the dining room wall with the sump in cabinet for a year, and then do the upgrade. Big peninsula is a dream tank and I’m stoked. Lots of work between now and then rhough

Oh- and it’ll be a glass cages with 3 sides starfire glass. Already have it budgeted into our next years finances.

nice! I got a new RS 750XXL then we end up buying a house in the next town over with a perfect spot for a peninsula so I traded for the 650P. the trade was in the works for 1.5 years while we did a major reno. I love the 650p however I something think I should have just went bigger and wider and did a fish only. but there is a basement under ( perfect for a fish room) but not so perfect for a large tank.

sounds like you have quite the plan. do a build thread when you move. i wanna see this bad boy come together!

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the main reason why I am kind of saying away from a bigger system in the house is that I don't want to potentially make a mess in the house and ruin my wife's precious floor lol. But yes I definitely know what you mean. However I do spend alot of time in the garage.

20201202_223527.jpg 20201202_223544.jpg

that is one huge garage. it will make for a nice man cave for sure.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha thanks. It's a 6 car garage. Definitely plenty of space in there for a nice fish room.
dude your garage is bigger then most of your houses! section off a 2or 3 car. and build your self one epic man cave.

I want to do that with the basement but we just finished a long expensive reno..so thats out for a while. I am thinking either a 300 -340 glass cage OR a plywood 420-1000 gal system.

wish I had a 6 car garage....who has 6 cars that you would even need that big of a garage for? car guys I guess...

OP
OP
ReefSakes

ReefSakes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dude your garage is bigger then most of your houses! section off a 2or 3 car. and build your self one epic man cave.

I want to do that with the basement but we just finished a long expensive reno..so thats out for a while. I am thinking either a 300 -340 glass cage OR a plywood 420-1000 gal system.

wish I had a 6 car garage....who has 6 cars that you would even need that big of a garage for? car guys I guess...
Haha well I'm not a car guy really. My truck is parked outside. Only my wife park in there. When we picked out the floor plan. Being Washington. I wanted space for my "reefer" (if you know what I mean) hobbies but don't need to do the other "reefing" as I now own my own legal recreational company and are 1 of the top brands in the state.

OP
OP
ReefSakes

ReefSakes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I wouldn't know how to even build a plywood tank but sounds cheaper then all glass.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice! I got a new RS 750XXL then we end up buying a house in the next town over with a perfect spot for a peninsula so I traded for the 650P. the trade was in the works for 1.5 years while we did a major reno. I love the 650p however I something think I should have just went bigger and wider and did a fish only. but there is a basement under ( perfect for a fish room) but not so perfect for a large tank.

sounds like you have quite the plan. do a build thread when you move. i wanna see this bad boy come together!
For a preview- go see my current build thread. I’ll be copying a lot for the fishroom but some changes planned

FYI- I know several people with 500 gallon tanks on the first floor over a basement. You just have to have the space to add ‘lally’ columns and beams to keep the floor up. One of the reasons we gravitate towards unfinished basements, to make that easier.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 70 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back