Should I get rid of my goniopora?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
May be a worm of some sort. I suggest lift out plug and place in freshwater for a minute and see if it comes out. If not, use dip at low strength .

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or, pry the Goni off the plug and put it on a fresh plug. Or take some CA glue and seal the base, fill the hole.

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May be a worm of some sort. I suggest lift out plug and place in freshwater for a minute and see if it comes out. If not, use dip at low strength .
So i dipped my goni in some Melafix Coral Dip and these two things came out. I don't think they are copepods because they are at least twice the size of the ones I see in my tank. Any clue what it is? They look like little shrimps and but I really am unsure whether or not they are copeods. Also, the strangest thing is that the goni did not care when I took it out of the water. Its already retracted a litte bit since its night but it did not retract any further even after shaking it around in the dip. However it closed a little when placed back into the tank.

Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 4.36.41 AM.png

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
When i expand picture on my phone., appears to be isopods or amphipods which get large.

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While anecdotal at best I felt like I only have success with Gonis when Plankton feeding. That is to say they really grow when I am plankton feeding the tank compared to what seems a slow starving otherwise.

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While anecdotal at best I felt like I only have success with Gonis when Plankton feeding. That is to say they really grow when I am plankton feeding the tank compared to what seems a slow starving otherwise.

Do you feed live plankton? Is it broadcast or spot fed? Also, did reef roids which is zoo plankton work for you if you tried?

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you feed live plankton? Is it broadcast or spot fed? Also, did reef roids which is zoo plankton work for you if you tried?

Its Algebarn live ocean magick mix. I have tried reef roids and many others. They do seem to also grab at that in my experience. A while ago I would have said it may have been the DSB I had on my old tank that enabled it but now that I no longer have that, and no longer am using reef roids with any constancy, but I still dose plankton and coral amminos nightly.

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its Algebarn live ocean magick mix. I have tried reef roids and many others. They do seem to also grab at that in my experience. A while ago I would have said it may have been the DSB I had on my old tank that enabled it but now that I no longer have that, and no longer am using reef roids with any constancy, but I still dose plankton and coral amminos nightly.

Thanks for the info, what is dsb?

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSB is deep sand bed. I think it brought alot of biodiversity that may have helped the gonis.

But now I wonder if it was just perhaps somthing which is eating the plankton that then the gonis are eating that creature, all speculation of course.

In the book "Plankton Culture Manual, by Frank H. Hoff and Terry W. Snell" they talk about Plankton as the pastures of the ocean and that it's the first major link in the food web with the second being zooplankton.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back