Should I get rid of my goniopora?

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've had this goniopora for a little over 3 weeks and it has not fully opened. (about 1.5 inch most) and anytime i drop something onto the floor or walk a bit to hard, it closes up for a couple days. Same thing if a hermit crab gets too close. Even if my hand is in the tank too. All the other corals are doing fine except this one. Its really frustrating to see it only somewhat happy every 2-3 days. The weird thing is that it opens up more at night too. I have tried numerous places in the tank and it looks happiest in its current spot. (only moved it every 4-5 days) So should I just replace it for a more active coral? Or will it get better with patience? I really like the look of the coral but it just hides. This was it yesterday before a hermit crab stressed it out and now its fully closed.

Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 4.09.14 PM.png

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried feeding it ?

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would continue to feed it.

Okay, I decided just to be patient with it. I hermit crab walked across it and it did not close as tightly as before, also it extended some more but not fully. :( I'll just give 3 more weeks and if it does not fully extend then I'll sell it or get rid of it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Try adjusting to Moderate lighting and water flow and feed reef roids 2X per week

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try adjusting to Moderate lighting and water flow and feed reef roids 2X per week

Should I feed redsea ab+? My phosphates are kinda high but went down to .15 (still not ideal) and I hear that reefroids are phosphates in a jar. I started running gfo to lower it tho

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems to me like your lights are too intense for it. I have heard of gonis opening more at night due to the daylight being to intense, so if you could maybe either turn your lights down or move it lower? Pics aren't loading for me so idk where in the tank it is. Good luck!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Should I feed redsea ab+? My phosphates are kinda high but went down to .15 (still not ideal) and I hear that reefroids are phosphates in a jar. I started running gfo to lower it tho
A & B will work also

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems to me like your lights are too intense for it. I have heard of gonis opening more at night due to the daylight being to intense, so if you could maybe either turn your lights down or move it lower? Pics aren't loading for me so idk where in the tank it is. Good luck!

I've put it in different areas to no avail (high, low, shaded). This spot seems like its the best. I had some pretty weak LEDs before I upgraded my lighting to a Fluval and it seems a bit happier. In my tank it is lower-middle.

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A & B will work also

Hey I think I might have found the problem. In between the coral base and the frag I saw something moving in there. I'm assuming it's a pest of some sort. Do I dip the coral? I really couldn't see it though, I fed my goni reef roids and something came out and went back it.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey I think I might have found the problem. In between the coral base and the frag I saw something moving in there. I'm assuming it's a pest of some sort. Do I dip the coral? I really couldn't see it though, I fed my goni reef roids and something came out and went back it.
Dip yes. try freshwater first. If it does not come out=- go for regular dip

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Any idea what it is? It was sort of white. It was so fast that I couldn't tell. Its wedged in there pretty good.
Without a pic or video- will be hard to tell.
Could be a pod, flatworm, etc

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hate to ask- Can you add white light and reduce blue?

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not completely if it was that white thing. But something came out fast to grab some reef roids and went right back in.

Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 7.40.59 PM.png

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 39 53.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • None.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.2%
Back