Should I increase alk dosing to compensate for biological processes /pH?

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reef experts!

I am treating a bubble algae infestation with Vibrant. So far, it seems to be slowly working with no adverse effects on my livestock. I removed my refugium algae temporarily during this treatment and began skimming again, so as a result I expect I am getting a drop in pH due to the lack of photosynthesis and the nitrates being consumed by bacteria in the tank (I am also using AF Pro-Bio, so I'm essentially carbon dosing to bring my phosphates and nitrates down slowly). I have been monitoring my alkalinity. It has begun dropping faster than before, even when I upped the daily dose by 2mL soda ash solution. Should I continue raising my alk dosing to keep it stable, or will this have unintended consequences considering I am treating for algae? My calcium is high (around 600) from my calcium doser timer accidentally turning on.
For what it's worth, the coral seems happier than ever. Thoughts?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reef experts!

I am treating a bubble algae infestation with Vibrant. So far, it seems to be slowly working with no adverse effects on my livestock. I removed my refugium algae temporarily during this treatment and began skimming again, so as a result I expect I am getting a drop in pH due to the lack of photosynthesis and the nitrates being consumed by bacteria in the tank (I am also using AF Pro-Bio, so I'm essentially carbon dosing to bring my phosphates and nitrates down slowly). I have been monitoring my alkalinity. It has begun dropping faster than before, even when I upped the daily dose by 2mL soda ash solution. Should I continue raising my alk dosing to keep it stable, or will this have unintended consequences considering I am treating for algae? My calcium is high (around 600) from my calcium doser timer accidentally turning on.
For what it's worth, the coral seems happier than ever. Thoughts?

What is the alkalinity?

I'd keep it stable unless it is already high.

If nitrate is declining, I'd expect that to boost alk. If it is rising, that will deplete alk.

OP
OP
Wasabiroot

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the alkalinity?

I'd keep it stable unless it is already high.

If nitrate is declining, I'd expect that to boost alk. If it is rising, that will deplete alk.
The alk is currently 8.3. Two days ago it was 8.4, last week 8.7. My target is 8.7 -9 as that is what my salt mixes to. Sounds good. I'll keep upping slowly.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The alk is currently 8.3. Two days ago it was 8.4, last week 8.7. My target is 8.7 -9 as that is what my salt mixes to. Sounds good. I'll keep upping slowly.

Those changes are very small and whether you dose or not, I doubt anything will appear any different. :)

OP
OP
Wasabiroot

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy. I would ask then-what amount of changes would be considered larger or more concerning in regards to alk?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy. I would ask then-what amount of changes would be considered larger or more concerning in regards to alk?

If it was trending to soon drop below 7 dKH, that's more of a concern. :)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back