Should I keep tinkering to get Alk as stable as possible? Or set dosing and go hands off to let it land where it may?

Should I keep tinkering with Alk to get this at exactly 9 all day? Or go hands off and let it ride?

• Stability is king! Do what it takes keep ALK at 9 perfectly.

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Go hands off! Pull the 2 part just let the system ride.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Middle Ground! Leave the 2 part to even it out a little but stop tinkering with it.

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Other (Posted in the thread)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying to get ALK as stable as possible. Right now I have a Kalk reactor dosing evenly through out the day, a CA reactor dosing evenly throughout the day on a Parasitotic pump to keep it steady, and then I dose a small amount of 2 part at certain times on a DOS to try and keep ALK at 9 and hold it there perfectly. Here is my Alk Chart for a week:

ALK_STBL.jpg

That's not terrible, but it's far from perfect. The other thing is that I'm tinkering with it every day, 1 extra ML here, one less ML there,.. etc. It's getting close to requiring an intervention. I'm seriously considering closing the Apex app and not opening it again to just let the system do it's thing unless I get an alarm. I never tested ALK many times per day before, I'm sure this has always been happening but I didn't know.

What do you think? Is it worth continuing to get this just perfect? Or would the tank be better off if I just put my head in the sand and had it text me if ALK hit 8 or 10 for some reason?

Whiskey

kierstin1993

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I wouldn’t worry about perfection because your not going to find it. I would stop tinkering with it. The time of day and lighting can cause it to fluctuate and based on the photo provided you have stability. Stability doesn’t necessarily mean the numbers don’t fluctuate, it can mean there is a stable pattern.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.7%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 77 42.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back