should I move my adult emp angel to a bigger tank?

socalfishy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i bet you have a form of velvet / amyloodinium that is the only way everything is dying quickly one after another. It was a problem i had in some systems in the past and the only treatment was copper and empty tank for months. Took out all types of VERY hardy fish, old triggers and a medium sized mappa puffer. Things like velvet / oodinium will take out an entire system in 24-48 hours once it is "activated" no longer dormant, stress can surely speed this up. This was all because i kept telling myself certain fish were bullet proof and kept adding specimens. That was a very hard lesson learned. Large angels are soo difficult. My emperor is doing good but i keep a CLOSE eye on it. The nasty thing about all this is its very hard to see unless you are experienced at looking at fish. By the time you see the coatings or color fade in the fish its usually way too late. All my fish that died from velvet all did the same things, poop out all nutrients in their body, get dusty looking then followed by sunken eyes color change and death all in about a day and a half.

Not surprised the two that did make it a Triggerfish and a Goby, both notoriously robust and resistant. Still keep a close eye on them for rapid breathing cloudy eyes. Cupramine worked well the times i dealt with velvet after my first situations. When the tank was empty i dosed it with cupramine and cranked up the temp to mid high 80's for about 3 months, was supposed to be 2 but time gets away from you sometimes lol.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i bet you have a form of velvet / amyloodinium that is the only way everything is dying quickly one after another. It was a problem i had in some systems in the past and the only treatment was copper and empty tank for months. Took out all types of VERY hardy fish, old triggers and a medium sized mappa puffer. Things like velvet / oodinium will take out an entire system in 24-48 hours once it is "activated" no longer dormant, stress can surely speed this up. This was all because i kept telling myself certain fish were bullet proof and kept adding specimens. That was a very hard lesson learned. Large angels are soo difficult. My emperor is doing good but i keep a CLOSE eye on it. The nasty thing about all this is its very hard to see unless you are experienced at looking at fish. By the time you see the coatings or color fade in the fish its usually way too late. All my fish that died from velvet all did the same things, poop out all nutrients in their body, get dusty looking then followed by sunken eyes color change and death all in about a day and a half.

Not surprised the two that did make it a Triggerfish and a Goby, both notoriously robust and resistant. Still keep a close eye on them for rapid breathing cloudy eyes. Cupramine worked well the times i dealt with velvet after my first situations.
what do you mean by once it is activated?

socalfishy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what do you mean by once it is activated?

I'v gotten batches of fish that for sure have velvet on them when i had a shop, and they did not all die quickly. The temperature of the water and parameters affect the dormant state of activity in the velvet will determine how quickly it kills. I notice that once an outbreak really ramps in there is no buffer time just death. The warmer it is the faster the reproduction and expansion happens.

Some fish can carry velvet for a long time before it takes over and spreads, in my first scenario it was my mappa puffer.

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to here about your loss. I’ve had mine for 2+ years and he is a favorite. He eats well and rules the tank along with his partner “Queenie” (Queen angel) He’s been ill many times in the last 2 years including parasitic and bacteria ailments. He was a true champ and got through them and now is as healthy as anything I ve ever owned. It is unusual that a healthy adult emperor would die because of stress generated from a pretty easy move especially because the tank mates were not going to give him any trouble upon arrival. Now of course any stress can be just enough to trigger something that has been lurking behind the scenes. While we will likely never know, its probably a good idea to do as you are doing and go fishless as well as treat the others in QT. I would suggest probably treating with wide spectrum bacteria med as well as parasitic. I had a bacteria plaque that wiped out many high priced fish but my emperor and Queen along with some tangs made it through. Good luck!!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 53 85.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back