should I move my adult emp angel to a bigger tank?

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have moved him to qt. DANG I dont get or understand it. So odd. he is not happy in the 220 tank. NOT AT ALL. HE'S FADED badly not fuzzy or speckled just severely faded out. I've tested what my apex does not tell me, amo, phos etc..an all is ok with the water. Should I put him back in the 150.? I mean he came to me at the top of the water an let me net him with 0 Fuss or fight. I should have never moved him.

Last edited:

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates? Make sure he has a safe place “cave” to hide. He should get comfortable within a week. I imagine he is stressed after living his whole life in another tank.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is terrible, terrible news. My Emperor is my best fish, so I can approximate your pain. Do you think the minor flashing you saw before the move was an indication of a subtle problem that ballooned out of control after the tank change? (Not that I want you to punish yourself with second guessing. It might just be one of those things that we all encounter.) I do hope in time you grow out another Emperor for your 220.

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i do not know. the facts are this--
1. he was three years old and healthy,

2.I qt-ed and observed all the new fish in the 220 and they were also happy and healthy,

3. I moved him over and he hides for a while but was eating then went downhill kind of slow

4. took most of the 220 fish with him at a rate of 3 fish a day after I removed him an placed him into qt

5. 4 of them have never shown any signs of any problem. my niger trigger, diamond an engineer goby, yellowtail damsel all fine and my bicolor angel is still in qt with some kinda eye problem

we will never know. but i have all the LFS on high alert for another emp.

Last edited:

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am so sorry. I will never move another fish out of their home , after reading this. It probably was stress. He got comfortable and it would have been best to leave it be.
I gave my emperor away to a bigger tank, I'm scared to find out if she is alive now.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i do not know. the facts are this--
1. he was three years old and healthy,

2.I qt-ed and observed all the new fish in the 220 and they were also happy and healthy,

3. I moved him over and he hides for a while but was eating then went downhill kind of slow

4. took most of the 220 fish with him at a rate of 3 fish a day after I removed him an placed him into qt

5. 4 of them have never shown any signs of any problem. my niger trigger, diamond an engineer goby, yellowtail damsel all fine and my bicolor angel is still in qt with some kinda eye problem

we will never know. but i have all the LFS on high alert for another emp.
I hope you do get another one. That angel of yours was one of the most beautiful fish I've seen on this or any other site. You clearly were on the right track before this tragedy.

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I learned from this is, if the fish is happy, leave it alone and forget what others say about " The fish needs a bigger tank". Obviously, he did not. Nothing will change what took place.
you are so correct on this statement, but I don't blame those for saying or implying he was cramped because I kinda felt that way myself and it was the reason I got a bigger tank for him, but i will not ever move another established fish. EVER!!!!!!!!!! despite all the success stories one hears because I can counteroffer with a horror story developing under normal conditions.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that is both tanks. Sal an ph seem to be well in line with one another.

Screenshot_20210710-182723_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210710-182702_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210710-182639_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210710-182625_Gallery.jpg
Does he pick at lps corals ?

im looking for adding one to my current system but worried about the corals

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Does he pick at lps corals ?

im looking for adding one to my current system but worried about the corals
I would say it would be different for all angels. Mine loves soft corals only. Had 0 interest in anything else. BIG algae eater. 1 ounce of nori per week, unmeasured fresh grape caulerpa. Loved chopped shrimp and once in awhile muscles. She did not like clam meat or squid. Mine was 4 inches when I got her. Rehomed her at 7 inches. I do not know if she lived. I don't want to know.

And from the looks of the OP's fish. Corals weren't bothered either.
This one was mine. She was camera shy.

Attachments

• emperor.jpg
    emperor.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 225

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say it would be different for all angels. Mine loves soft corals only. Had 0 interest in anything else. BIG algae eater. 1 ounce of nori per week, unmeasured fresh grape caulerpa. Loved chopped shrimp and once in awhile muscles. She did not like clam meat or squid. Mine was 4 inches when I got her. Rehomed her at 7 inches. I do not know if she lived. I don't want to know.

And from the looks of the OP's fish. Corals weren't bothered either.
This one was mine. She was camera shy.
Prior to my rank crash the juv I had loved lps .
wouldn’t touch softies or sps

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine never bothered any type of coral. I assume because he was well feed. he was a model citizen.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine never bothered any type of coral. I assume because he was well feed. he was a model citizen.
Mine was fed 5 times a day. I kept algae visible for her. When the caulerpa was gone, i added more. The day I added cloves, was the day they were no more.

All these emperors have such different tastes. Amazing fish. I never had one like them.

socalfishy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Horrible, i have an Emperor angel male very similar to yours in size and coloration. He is extremely sensitive to his surroundings and will IMMEDIATELY show faded blemishing colors when something is out of wack. Mine does not like ANY CHANGES. Move his rocks, feed him different pellets, change the flow pattern on the wave fan. Mine even prefer's to eat food in a very specific corner of the tank. It took me almost 3 months to QT him to an acceptable health before putting him into my 200. Mine lives with triggerfish 4 of them, 2 of which are larger than my angel and he has literally bossed the entire tank, incredible animal, but VERY VERY picky. My Emperor has to be the most finicky fish i have ever kept ever in my life. I used to run a pet store for what its worth and have many years of experience with FOWLR marine fish. The hardest part with large angels is to get them situated to where they eat and the powerful coloration is seem ALL the time. Timid activity accompanied by color fade and soon lack of hunger...we know where that heads quickly.

Just curious, what type of fish did you add your angel into in the 220, and how long has the 220 cast of fish been living in their environment before you added the angel?

I always do 2 things when i add new livestock after QT. Heavily feed everyone and change the rock structure.

"took most of the 220 fish with him at a rate of 3 fish a day after I removed him an placed him into qt"

this sounds like something else might be contributing to deaths.

Last edited:

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
incredible animal, but VERY VERY picky. My Emperor has to be the most finicky fish i have ever kept ever in my life.
This is so true, I feel I let go of a real gem. She was amazing. I am having so many regrets over 1 fish. I don't think i will get another until I get a tank over 6ft in length. They are so amazing.

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Horrible, i have an Emperor angel male very similar to yours in size and coloration. He is extremely sensitive to his surroundings and will IMMEDIATELY show faded blemishing colors when something is out of wack. Mine does not like ANY CHANGES. Move his rocks, feed him different pellets, change the flow pattern on the wave fan. Mine even prefer's to eat food in a very specific corner of the tank. It took me almost 3 months to QT him to an acceptable health before putting him into my 200. Mine lives with triggerfish 4 of them, 2 of which are larger than my angel and he has literally bossed the entire tank, incredible animal, but VERY VERY picky. My Emperor has to be the most finicky fish i have ever kept ever in my life. I used to run a pet store for what its worth and have many years of experience with FOWLR marine fish. The hardest part with large angels is to get them situated to where they eat and the powerful coloration is seem ALL the time. Timid activity accompanied by color fade and soon lack of hunger...we know where that heads quickly.

Just curious, what type of fish did you add your angel into in the 220, and how long has the 220 cast of fish been living in their environment before you added the angel?

I always do 2 things when i add new livestock after QT. Heavily feed everyone and change the rock structure.

"took most of the 220 fish with him at a rate of 3 fish a day after I removed him an placed him into qt"

this sounds like something else might be contributing to deaths.
I removed the remaining fish and placed them in qt so i could go fallow but this was the outcome of all tank mates.

qt is a 20g

1 bi-color angel ------ now dead, died in qt ---few days later
1coral beauty angel ----now dead post angel removal to qt
1 klien butterfly ----now dead post angel removal to qt
1 fox face -----now dead post angel removal to qt
3 yellow tail damsels ----1 dead post angel removal to qt, one died in qt a few days later, 1 survived
2 diamond gobies --- both survived but 1 died in qt a few days later
1 engineer goby ----survived
1 starry blenny---now dead post angel removal to qt
2 osc clowns and nem----now dead--- died in qt a few days later--- nem survived
1 niger trigger ----survived.

we will never know I blame it on the stress of the move. i mean i do not think diseases are picky on what they attack, i mean do they just hang out on the rocks, or stay dormant on fish, scoping out a victim talking to each other. saying things like "stay put velvet not that one hes to small lets wait for a bigger fish". HAHAHAHA

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 63 85.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.1%
Back