Should I move my aquascape back?

ExoS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I am starting my first saltwater tank so I am in the "don't know what I don't know" phase. My question is, should I move my aquascape back? I want to leave enough room to clean but I wonder if I left too much. I currently have 3 inches between the aquascape and back wall. Its about the same from the front except for the one small rock that is closer. So right now the scape is about in the middle of the tank. My glass cleaner only needs an inch of room so it has plenty of clearance. What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance for the help and opinions on this.

IMG_4546.JPG IMG_4554.JPG

OP
OP
E

ExoS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
leave it, its good to have space behind the rock work. It adds awesome depth... especially with a black back. Are you adding sand?
Yes I am adding sand once the rockwork is in the final place and glued. I have 40 lbs of fiji pink to put in so I think the sand bed will be about an inch or maybe a little more.

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I think it would be more visually appealing if you had more foreground visible. So I would move the rock work back some. Just off the back wall, so water can flow past and the rocks aren't touching the glass.

JonoB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I think it would be more visually appealing if you had more foreground visible. So I would move the rock work back some. Just off the back wall, so water can flow past and the rocks aren't touching the glass.
I agree. It will work how it is, but I like to have more room in the from. Plus you gotta think about corals in the future. I like having at least a couple corals on the sand bed...so if you want that you'll need room for it.

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey it look great! Not that you asked but I'd consider trying to get a "cave" __---__ in the island on the left. Everyone, and I mean everyone, loves a good cave.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would move it back, i try to force my fish out front where I can see them, you dont want them hiding all day. Personally I dont worry about the back glass, Its painted blue, and its for the snails, so i dont mind a little algae on the back glass

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another consideration, be careful about symmetry. They don't have to be the same distance off of the back glass. Having something in the foreground and something in the background helps create an illusion of depth. You definitely also want to leave enough room to get an algae scraper back there and maybe your hand.

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too prefer my Aquascape with only room to clean the substrate in the back. My idea is that it's best to showcase you're like. with much more swimming space in front of your rock scape. And I have mine with 40% open space up top

pureconcept

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think simple answer is yes move it back. But full answer is that it depends what you are planning. For instance if you plan on having bigger fish the space in the back will allow them tp do laps and double the swimming space. But if you want small fish moving it back will allow them the room to swim since they can turn around more easily than a large fish and backing it up will allow for more depth with corals amd rocks in the forground and will encourage the fish to swim in the front in full sight. I am also new to this hobby though so im kind of talking out of my butt.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back