Should I put a fan in a floating canopy with T5/led combo?

minder_mano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About to start a project. I’m going to build a canopy that will hang above the tank. It will have leds in the middle and 2 t5 bulbs on both sides. This is the plan as of now anyways. So my question is does the canopy need fans to cool the bulbs? I’ve heard that the bulbs will last longer if cooled properly but I’ve seen the aquatic life led/t5 fixtures and there are no fans to my knowledge. Is it because two bulbs won’t get hot enough? I don’t know. What’s your opinions?

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not all fixtures use fans, some T5s are designed to be cooled via heat sinks/defusers which is labeled as passive cooling (where a fan set up would be considered active).

Passive cooling is achieved my increasing the surface or contact area of the fixture allowing more heat to be dispersed into the room and away from the fixture. If your canopy is completely enclosed or has little or no air channels between fixtures I would consider adding vents and a fan

OP
OP
minder_mano

minder_mano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to use retrofit kits. The canopy will be open on the bottom and vented on top. Do you think adding a fan on each end or on top would increase the bulb life? Or will they not get hot enough? I’ve never heard of heat sinks but after a quick search that sounds like a neat idea too

Last edited:

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just want to use retrofit kits. The canopy will be open on the bottom and vented on top. Do you think adding a fan on each end or on top would increase the bulb life? Or will they not get hot enough? I’ve never heard of heat sinks but after a quick search that sounds like a neat idea too
I wouldn't worry about bulb life with the retrofit kits. Just make sure there's enough space between the edge of the T5s and the canopy frame. I'd make sure that the top and/or back of the canopy was vented.

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@minder_mano , I am getting ready to start my new build! I have been designing my SCA Rimless 150 for over a year and a half! My Rimless tank, you will normally never see a canopy but I special ordered one b/c I wanted to float my canopy from the ceiling to hide all of my AI Hydra HD Led's that I will be running! I am going to be mount 2 Hydra HD LED's on each side of the canopy and have my Hydra 52 DEAD smack in the middle of the tank which will give me the perfect amount of spread for a 5ft tank. Here some pictures of my new build.
Also, I want my lights running Horizontally not North and South in order to get more spread. Here is a pix without my canopy modified, It's still a work in progress if you know what I mean. Check out the 2nd picture? I most likely will replicate this example ones I figure on how I am going to mount my Hydra HD's inside of my furniture grade canopy. It will be discussed in my SCA 150 build thread. Let me know how yours comes along?

Happy Reefing:)
FLSHARKVICTIM

RIMLESS SCA 150.jpg

I am going to try to build something in the canopy to hold my lights, just like how this guy did it.
1-of-4-SEE-PROFILE-FOR-ADDITIONAL-IMAGES-V1jhSm.jpg

LoneStarReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@minder_mano , I am getting ready to start my new build! I have been designing my SCA Rimless 150 for over a year and a half! My Rimless tank, you will normally never see a canopy but I special ordered one b/c I wanted to float my canopy from the ceiling to hide all of my AI Hydra HD Led's that I will be running! I am going to be mount 2 Hydra HD LED's on each side of the canopy and have my Hydra 52 DEAD smack in the middle of the tank which will give me the perfect amount of spread for a 5ft tank. Here some pictures of my new build.
Also, I want my lights running Horizontally not North and South in order to get more spread. Here is a pix without my canopy modified, It's still a work in progress if you know what I mean. Check out the 2nd picture? I most likely will replicate this example ones I figure on how I am going to mount my Hydra HD's inside of my furniture grade canopy. It will be discussed in my SCA 150 build thread. Let me know how yours comes along?

Happy Reefing:)
FLSHARKVICTIM

RIMLESS SCA 150.jpg

I am going to try to build something in the canopy to hold my lights, just like how this guy did it.
1-of-4-SEE-PROFILE-FOR-ADDITIONAL-IMAGES-V1jhSm.jpg
I know this post is a few years old, but did you end up making the floating canopy? I am wanting to build one as well. Would love to see your pictures/designs if you don't mind sharing.

Back