Should I put my tank in the living room or in the basement?

albertski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm debating where I should place my fish tank (Waterbox Marine X 60.2). I originally thought of putting it in the basement, but after watching some videos of people saying they regret not putting the tank in the room they spend more time in, I'm leaning towards putting it in my living room. The problem is I have a surround sound system with a subwoofer (across where the tank would be so it won't be super close) in the room. Also, I have hardwood flooring in the living room but I was thinking of placing a tarp during water changes so I don't think that will be an issue.

What does everyone think: basement or living room?

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I'm debating where I should place my fish tank (Waterbox Marine X 60.2). I originally thought of putting it in the basement, but after watching some videos of people saying they regret not putting the tank in the room they spend more time in, I'm leaning towards putting it in my living room. The problem is I have a surround sound system with a subwoofer (across where the tank would be so it won't be super close) in the room. Also, I have hardwood flooring in the living room but I was thinking of placing a tarp during water changes so I don't think that will be an issue.

What does everyone think: basement or living room?
Both! Put that in the living room, then add a qt, frag, grow out tank in the basement ;)

Upvote 0

Glaudelin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the smell can only be a problem if you are very sensitive. People easily get used to everything, so you'll stop feeling discomfort quickly (if it was there at all).
People easily get used to everything, so you'll stop feeling discomfort quickly (if it was there at all). You can always install an aroma diffuser for your home - any flavor of your choice. I'd never put an aquarium in the basement because that would deprive me of double pleasure. In my living room I can see a beautiful aquarium, and from the living room window. If I had chosen the basement, such happiness wouldn't have happened!

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wherever you think you might enjoy it most.
I had a great tank in my dinning room. I did have to go in there to enjoy it but it was easy being right next door to the kitchen and living room. If you spend a lot of time in the basement, like a furnished basement with tv and stuff, then that's fine too. Its really up to you. The other thing is you don't want to have it somewhere that you won't even be walking by it pretty regularly so that you have a chance of noticing if something is wrong.

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back