Should I put my tank in the living room or in the basement?

albertski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm debating where I should place my fish tank (Waterbox Marine X 60.2). I originally thought of putting it in the basement, but after watching some videos of people saying they regret not putting the tank in the room they spend more time in, I'm leaning towards putting it in my living room. The problem is I have a surround sound system with a subwoofer (across where the tank would be so it won't be super close) in the room. Also, I have hardwood flooring in the living room but I was thinking of placing a tarp during water changes so I don't think that will be an issue.

What does everyone think: basement or living room?

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely where you spend most of your time. You’re going to invest a lot of money into it so you want to keep a close eye on it.

I have mine in the living room, next to my home cinema. I have wood floors too. I just put a thick towel in front of the tank when I do water changes or maintenance.

I also have 2 water sensors, 1 inside the cabinet and 1 behind the tank, that will sound an alarm and warn me on my phone if there is a water leak. It has waken me up in the middle of the night once. I was really glad.

Upvote 0

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Had mine in the basement at my last house out of necessity. Downsized the display so I could have it in my great room at my new house. Hands down you want that upstairs.

I’ll add the basement at my old house was my man cave. It would tick off the wife and she came to resent me disappearing for hours at a time.

Upvote 0

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll go the other route here since plenty of in the living room answers.

Put it in the basement, then claim the basement as your man cave and make it where you spend the most time. Easy!
mines an in wall tank in a finished basement with the utility/fish room behind it.
was going to do the living room and the mrs. nixxed that idea because she was worried it would leak all over her new furniture. :rolleyes:
worked out great for me.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

albertski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely where you spend most of your time. You’re going to invest a lot of money into it so you want to keep a close eye on it.

I have mine in the living room, next to my home cinema. I have wood floors too. I just put a thick towel in front of the tank when I do water changes or maintenance.

I also have 2 water sensors, 1 inside the cabinet and 1 behind the tank, that will sound an alarm and warn me on my phone if there is a water leak. It has waken me up in the middle of the night once. I was really glad.
You don't think the subwoofer would be a problem?

I was thinking the same thing about the sensor. Do you have one that you recommend?

Upvote 0

Keywest99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm debating where I should place my fish tank (Waterbox Marine X 60.2). I originally thought of putting it in the basement, but after watching some videos of people saying they regret not putting the tank in the room they spend more time in, I'm leaning towards putting it in my living room. The problem is I have a surround sound system with a subwoofer (across where the tank would be so it won't be super close) in the room. Also, I have hardwood flooring in the living room but I was thinking of placing a tarp during water changes so I don't think that will be an issue.

What does everyone think: basement or living room?
I had a 90 gallon built into the corner wall in my finished basement. It got the point that the only reason I went down there was to feed my fish. So I redid the drywall sold the tank and bought a 110 G and put it in the living room. I had to move my thermostat a few feet but it was worth it. Enjoy it for hours a day know. Don't hide it in the basement!!

Upvote 0

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had 2 tanks in living rooms. This current tank is in-wall, in the basement with a concrete floor and a room behind it. That set up trumps putting it in the living room. I do miss not having a tank in the living room though and even more so no tank in the study where I WFH now. It does make me get up and walk around though otherwise I'd just be stuck in one room all day.

Since you're talking a smallish cube, living room is my vote.

Upvote 0

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most definitely the room you spend your time in.
ps. please don't remember this and hate on me when the ugly stage is going on and your spouse is blasting you for the house smelling like low tide. :p

Upvote 0

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is in my living room and was best decision. We hardly used the living room except for company before setting up the aquarium. Now whole family is using living room for morning coffee, afternoon cocktails, and evening gatherings or to read. Completely changed the dynamics of the house. Sorry I didn’t do this sooner.

No one even notices about the soft light fans or sump noise. Part of the experience.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

albertski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most definitely the room you spend your time in.
ps. please don't remember this and hate on me when the ugly stage is going on and your spouse is blasting you for the house smelling like low tide. :p
LOL I also didn't think about the smell. Does it smell only in the early stages or will it always smell?

Upvote 0

Kirkslittlereef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine in my dining room, get a good view from the living room
D197BD42-C8BA-45BC-A169-A46D69B6AD13.jpeg

Upvote 0
Back