Should I put my tank in the living room or in the basement?

albertski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm debating where I should place my fish tank (Waterbox Marine X 60.2). I originally thought of putting it in the basement, but after watching some videos of people saying they regret not putting the tank in the room they spend more time in, I'm leaning towards putting it in my living room. The problem is I have a surround sound system with a subwoofer (across where the tank would be so it won't be super close) in the room. Also, I have hardwood flooring in the living room but I was thinking of placing a tarp during water changes so I don't think that will be an issue.

What does everyone think: basement or living room?

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You don't think the subwoofer would be a problem?

I was thinking the same thing about the sensor. Do you have one that you recommend?
I feel like I live in a very weird world. Tank is in the computer room for me, I hate tv. My husband has a guitar room. We spend most of our time in the computer room and never in the living room.
These guys all have the right idea, maybe make a man cave?

Upvote 0

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't think the subwoofer would be a problem?

I was thinking the same thing about the sensor. Do you have one that you recommend?
For the fish you mean ? It has never bothered any fish of mine and I have two tanks in the living room. Mind you I don’t watch those loud actions movies.

For sensors I use these. I’ve had them for about 3 years. I’m sure there are lots of others to choose from. These ones were provided to me by my home insurance company.

Upvote 0

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at it this way, If the tank has a leak or you spill salt water on the floor, the grief from your spouse about a ruined hard wood floor will be incredible. If you get water on a basement floor, nobody cares. My wife wanted to kill me when she saw a tiny puddle on the hardwood in the dining room.

Upvote 0

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious - what percentage of Reefers had aquarium that leaked and what percentage of those leaks could have been avoided?

Hopefully someone can give me some stats on this…

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

albertski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the fish you mean ? It has never bothered any fish of mine and I have two tanks in the living room. Mind you I don’t watch those loud actions movies.

For sensors I use these. I’ve had them for about 3 years. I’m sure there are lots of others to choose from. These ones were provided to me by my home insurance company.

Thanks for the sensor info.

I feel like we watch one to two movies a week with some decent subwoofer effects. Would you say this is a deal breaker?

Upvote 0

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL I also didn't think about the smell. Does it smell only in the early stages or will it always smell?
Properly setup saltwater aquarium will have NO smell.

Upvote 0

innovusaquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote for both! You're going to get MTS anyway. (We all do.) Why not get it over with now and just buy the next larger tank plumb them together now and save yourself the expense of doubling up on all the equipment. Explain it to your wife as a money saving investment for the future. You can also tell her that with the sump and equipment on the tank in the basement the tank in the living room will be quieter! Save that for the last argument. That always gets them in the end.

Upvote 1

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote for both! You're going to get MTS anyway. (We all do.) Why not get it over with now and just buy the next larger tank plumb them together now and save yourself the expense of doubling up on all the equipment. Explain it to your wife as a money saving investment for the future. You can also tell her that with the sump and equipment on the tank in the basement the tank in the living room will be quieter! Save that for the last argument. That always gets them in the end.
Where were you when I was desperately trying to convince the wife about the multiple aquariums???

Your logical arguments make perfect sense! Are your eloquent talking skills for hire?

Upvote 0

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the sensor info.

I feel like we watch one to two movies a week with some decent subwoofer effects. Would you say this is a deal breaker?
I don’t think so. With the height of the tank and the depth of the sand bed, if you have one, I doubt the fish would sense the vibrations too much.

Many people in this thread say the fish don’t care.

Upvote 0

Wick3d_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 180 gallon tank, 220 total system volume on 57 year old hardwood. We have ours in our living room. I love having it there. We have an indoor/outdoor rug in front of the tank so during WCs, it doesn't matter if we have some spillage.

Upvote 0

themericks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Living room would probably be the best if you are careful with maintenance and make it look sharp. I have mine set up in our apartment dining area and I love it. Great also when people come over, everyone is always fascinated, especially kids. If properly set up with decent equipment, noise should be a low hum. No smell either once cycled. Water changes can definitely be performed with very little to no spillage if you siphon the old water out and use a small pump to add the new water back in. In my experience, professionally made tanks don't often fail catastrophically overnight on their own, you'd probably see warning signs if you keep up with maintenance and observe the tank at least weekly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll join in and vote for the living room too. I have a 75 gallon freshwater tank in the living room, and probably spend at least 2 hours a night in a small back room of my home to watch my salty tanks! If I didn't have a school of clown loaches and a good sized black ghost knife I'd have made the 75 a salty tank too

Upvote 0

Glaudelin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the smell can only be a problem if you are very sensitive. People easily get used to everything, so you'll stop feeling discomfort quickly (if it was there at all).

Upvote 0
Back