Should I remove Brown Algae/Diatoms or will Coraline grow over it.

KetchumAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my first reef tank about 2 months ago and I noticed a build up of a brown algae on the glass/sand. I am aware of NTS and my parameters are coming back perfect according to my LFS. My tank has a live rock in it that has Coraline on it and all my other structure is dry rock, so far I haven't seen any growth of Coraline. Last week I replaced my lights that came with the tank with an AI Prime HD and I have noticed an increase in growth of this brown algae as expected. It is not growing on any of my rocks that I can see and it only seems to like the glass. I've removed all the algae off the sides and front of the tank but left it alone on the back glass as I want to grow Coraline on the back. Should I remove the brown algae or will Coraline grow over top of it, I am worried that if I wipe the back clean I will reset what I have been trying to grow for the past 2 months. Any tips would be appreciated, Thank You.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I personally would remove it. As your tank matures and you start getting some serious coraline growth on the rocks, there's plenty of time to let it start growing on the glass. Do you have a healthy CUC population?

OP
OP
KetchumAquatics

KetchumAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I personally would remove it. As your tank matures and you start getting some serious coraline growth on the rocks, there's plenty of time to let it start growing on the glass. Do you have a healthy CUC population?
Thank You for the Welcome! My tank does not have a CUC yet, but I will be getting one soon since my tank is fairly new. I was just worried that if I left the Brown Algae that it would take over and not let the Coraline grow. I will let the CUC do their thing and see what happens from there. Cant wait to see my tank mature over time. Thank You for the tip.

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank You for the Welcome! My tank does not have a CUC yet, but I will be getting one soon since my tank is fairly new. I was just worried that if I left the Brown Algae that it would take over and not let the Coraline grow. I will let the CUC do their thing and see what happens from there. Cant wait to see my tank mature over time. Thank You for the tip.
the brown diatoms are from silica in the water from the sand etc once it burns out the brown algae will start to disappear

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! As others have said the algae will go away. Its what we call the ugly stage.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back