Should I remove dying coral to avoid nutrient spike?

kmj.justin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this 3 headed branching euphyllia about a month ago and unfortunately 2 of the heads have been on a steady decline since I purchased them. It is apparent that at least one of the two heads is nearing death or already dead. There was some stringy stuff stuck on its polyp, and as I used a turkey baster to suck it off, the polyps detached with little effort. My question is, should I remove the dead polyps manually? Or will CUC clean it up quickly if I leave it in?
9870F4E5-B31A-425C-9077-E771FF8BF95E.jpeg

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The CUC should take care of it, I wouldn’t worry about trying to manually remove the pieces. They don’t have a lot of flesh to decompose so shouldn’t have much of an impact on the system.

OP
OP
K

kmj.justin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The CUC should take care of it, I wouldn’t worry about trying to manually remove the pieces. They don’t have a lot of flesh to decompose so shouldn’t have much of an impact on the system.
Does it look like the other head that is not showing it’s skeleton might have a chance to make it? I don’t understand why they died…they were making a comeback two days ago and after switching salt to tropic Marin pro they started dying again. I tested the new salt mix after mixing 24 hours and tested again today after seeing these two heads dying. Alkalinity dropped from 8.1 to 7.6 over the course of 3 days so I’m slowly bringing it back up but that’s the only issue, which shouldn’t even be a problem…

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it look like the other head that is not showing it’s skeleton might have a chance to make it? I don’t understand why they died…they were making a comeback two days ago and after switching salt to tropic Marin pro they started dying again. I tested the new salt mix after mixing 24 hours and tested again today after seeing these two heads dying. Alkalinity dropped from 8.1 to 7.6 over the course of 3 days so I’m slowly bringing it back up but that’s the only issue, which shouldn’t even be a problem…
The one on the right looks like it may still make it. But if the heads aren’t actually separated, it reduces the chances of one making it if the other dies. Torches are pretty sensitive to swings in parameters, so the switching of salt may have stressed them. Especially if the salinity wasn’t an exact match in what you mixed.

OP
OP
K

kmj.justin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one on the right looks like it may still make it. But if the heads aren’t actually separated, it reduces the chances of one making it if the other dies. Torches are pretty sensitive to swings in parameters, so the switching of salt may have stressed them. Especially if the salinity wasn’t an exact match in what you mixed.
Thanks for your reply. I’ll be keeping a close eye on the other head. It did enlarge a couple polyps when I dosed ab+ today so hopefully I can bring it back

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back