Should I roll the dice on a white tail kole tang?

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never been a fan of highly stocked fish tanks. I've always imagined fish like there space and I don't want to overcrowd them. That said I've been having an issue with algae control. All my params are in line. I normally run about 10ppm NO3 and 0.07ppm PO4. I'll get a sea hare to knock all the GHA back, and the tank will look great, but then after about 4 months it starts creeping back in, and it's sea hare rental time again.

My darn yellow tang is spoiled for nori and other foods, same for my blenny. Neither are interested in the naturally growing green stuff anymore. However the tank is just over 3 years old, the last fish I added was over a year ago. Everyone in there is super chill, and the tank is very much 'coasting'. I'd really like to add something that I can keep long term that will help with algae control, but I don't want to screw up the vibe I have going.

The fish I'm looking at is a white tail kole tang. I have three concerns:
  • Are they ich magnets like the powder blues or otherwise prone to disease?
  • My yellow tang is a giant wuss, would the kole tang and he get along?
  • Is my tank too open and not enough spots for the new kole tang to make his own?
Below is a list of my current stock and a picture of my tank. Interested to get some feedback if I should be okay with the new edition or not worth the gamble

• Yellow tang
  • Starry blenny
  • Pair of storm clownfish
  • Coral beauty
  • Ornate Leopard wrasse
  • Mandarinfish
Tank is a Reefer 425XL - 4x2x2

425XL.jpg

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Beautiful tank! If you want to get the fish to have it as an addition, I would go for it with proper quarantine. However, if you're looking for algae control I'm not sure this is the road I'd take. I would make sure all nutrients are in control and maybe add some turbo snails. I do love tangs though & kole and yellow are usually OK. However, if the yellow has been in there a long time, it's a possible gamble. I wish you the best of luck :)

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
They will put them in their place for a bit. There are tricks like the mirror in the corner, moving the rock around, adding more rock, adding at night also can also help. Best of luck again, sure would look cool in that tank :)

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White tail Bristletooth and Kole tangs are both bristletooth tangs in the genius ctenochaetus.

They are the Workers! I don't see any issue in adding a WT. No they are not ick magnets like some other genus of sturgeon fish.

Proper qt and Acclimatization will help ensure your happy tank, stays happy.

There's no saying for sure how your yellow tang will react. That's a big enough space for them to get away from each other. But not much room to hide.

"Is my tank too open and not enough spots for the new kole tang to make his own?"
-possibly... This is a major issue with NSA scapes. They're often lacking in much-needed fish habitat. With your low stocking, It's worth a try.

Edit: I have a WT Bristletooth and they are a pleasure to watch swim and work.

Last edited:

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Whitetail Bristletooth is one of the most stunning fish I have. I absolutely love it. If you hand feed, it'll be one of the first to nibble on your fingers. The colors on them get better over time as they get established.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 116 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back