Should I run GFO or Carbon

Austin456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29g biocube with a HOB overflow connected to a sump so I’ll estimate I have 32g of water in all. I want use a media reactor and leaning towards the BRS mini 5” reactor. But I’m have trouble deciding what’s best for my tank, all my corals(mostly soft coral) have been growing nicely and I see patches of green hair algae growing on my GSP so I know I have nutrients but I’m not looking to lower or get rid of nutrients, I’m mainly wanting to use a reactor to combat coral toxins and make the water look clearer. I understand depriving nutrients from a reef tank could have negative effects so I want to stay clear of that. If using a reactor will lower nutrients weather it GFO or Carbon i thought if I feed more I’ll be able to keep up and supply my tank with the nutrients it needs before the reactor removes it from the water. I also thought I could do water changes every other week rather than every week which is what I’m doing now to help let nutrients build up. So I guess my main question is would a reactor even work in my tank and if so what media would be best for the results I’m looking for. I’m just looking to see if a reactor is even possible before I commit to the idea and start getting everything together and pricing stuff out. Any feedback would be helpful. Again not looking to lower nutrients but to combat any toxins that coral released and other benefits of a reactor such as more clear water.

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend carbon over GFO and to use in small amounts first to see how your system responds.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon (rox) for sure for toxins, carbon and some form of gfo if po4 > 0.25.
I run both in same reactor, separated by a sponge.
Or chemipure elite for all in one.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening,

I would suggest before choosing anything to test your water to see exactly where you stand. Usually carbon is a good choice for water clarity and to remove impurities . I don’t think you need a reactor, depending on your set up you may be able to use a filter bag.

Test first, and if everything has been looking and running good I would hesitate to start making changes..

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given your stated goal, carbon for sure... You don't really need a reactor to run carbon, I just put some in a mesh bag placed in a high flow area of the sump.

ReefPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a 29g tank, the reactor will be about half the size of your tank, maybe not quite, but you get my point.

It's a small tank, don't be worrying about reactors for a bit of media, just buy a pack of decent media bags and put them somewhere with reasonable flow, such as, overflow, return pump section etc etc.

Whether to use carbon or GFO, they're completely different things for different purposes and have little to do with what reactor or bag you use.

GFO is to reduce phosphates, and can be extremely aggressive, in a 29g, water changes is often better approach.
GAC is to clarify the water and remove impurities, such as metals and dissolved compounds.

OP
OP
Austin456

Austin456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening,

I would suggest before choosing anything to test your water to see exactly where you stand. Usually carbon is a good choice for water clarity and to remove impurities . I don’t think you need a reactor, depending on your set up you may be able to use a filter bag.

Test first, and if everything has been looking and running good I would hesitate to start making changes..
Thanks for you input, I will lean towards a mesh bag than a reactor, I guess reactors are for bigger tanks, but I will take you advice before anything and test my water to see where I stand

OP
OP
Austin456

Austin456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a 29g tank, the reactor will be about half the size of your tank, maybe not quite, but you get my point.

It's a small tank, don't be worrying about reactors for a bit of media, just buy a pack of decent media bags and put them somewhere with reasonable flow, such as, overflow, return pump section etc etc.

Whether to use carbon or GFO, they're completely different things for different purposes and have little to do with what reactor or bag you use.

GFO is to reduce phosphates, and can be extremely aggressive, in a 29g, water changes is often better approach.
GAC is to clarify the water and remove impurities, such as metals and dissolved compounds.
Would Chemi pure blue be a good option to remove impurities and toxins? I’m not for familiar with the term GAC is that another way for referring to carbon

ReefPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would Chemi pure blue be a good option to remove impurities and toxins? I’m not for familiar with the term GAC is that another way for referring to carbon

The word "carbon" can often be confused between carbon dosing and activated carbon.
The correct term is GAC - Granulated Activated Carbon.

Chemi pure is meant to be good, but I have no experience myself.

OP
OP
Austin456

Austin456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to everyone and there input I’ve narrowed it down to using GAC and abandoning the whole reactor idea and moved to add in a mesh bag, now would chemi pure blue be brand worth trying or is there something better, at what point do I replace the mesh bag and add a new one

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to everyone and there input I’ve narrowed it down to using GAC and abandoning the whole reactor idea and moved to add in a mesh bag, now would chemi pure blue be brand worth trying or is there something better, at what point do I replace the mesh bag and add a new one
Filter carbon only lasts for a few days, but you don't have to use it constantly. I only add a bag about once every other month or so when water starts to turn yellow, or if there is another problem (coral warfare, dead fish in water, etc...).

Back