Should I run UV on my water change?

azreefkeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My BRS 4-stage RODI system is in my garage and runs directly into a 50g "wastewater" Rubbermaid trashcan and 30g "saltwater" trashcan. I've noticed a black ring around the inside of the saltwater can as I premix the saltwater and assume it to be bacteria of some kind. Could this be harmful to my corals?

I know that some corals are more susceptible to bacterial infection than others and that could pose risks should they succumb and die. I hate to throw out 25g of freshly mixed change water but for the sake of safety, I'm going to run the UV on this batch. I'll then "Clorox out" the trashcan before the next mix but was wondering if anyone else wondered about this and/or took steps to prevent bacteria that might be in the mix tubs?

Lizbeli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make it a point to rinse my rubbermaid with hot water after every water change. Been using the same bin for about two years without build up. However, I have read of several reports of brown growth in mixing bins. Some people say not to worry about. Still, if it were me I would do exactly what you are doing in terms of bleaching and cleaning the bin. Just because im a worry wart haha!

OP
OP
azreefkeeper

azreefkeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Lizbeli! I'm definitely going to start washing it out between batches with a hose and some vinegar or bleach. Can't be too careful with a miniature ecosystem, not to mention the investment into these systems.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black ring is probably mold.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 161 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.4%
Back