Should I separate this new clownfish from my old one?

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a new clownfish. He is black and has a white stipe around its head and one white spot on the top of his body, not sure what the name of it was. I already had one clownfish that has been in the tank for a while and he is not aggressive but the new one seems to be more aggressive. When I first out the new clown in the tank he didn’t seem to do anything to my other clown. The new clown has been chasing him around the tank and darting at him. The new one is a little bit smaller than the old one I’ve had. The new clown is swimming around the tank like crazy sometimes too. He is swimming against the glass going back and forth. My original clown is hiding because of the new one too. Do you think the new clown could kill the old one? Or is this normal behavior for a clown that is added to a tank? Should I be worried?

MangoB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re probably Fighting for sex roles not much you can do to help a blackout might help but chances are it’ll start again within weeks

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From your discription did you buy a mccullochi??? Fyi most aggressive clownfish alive lol

OP
OP
Leon Gorani

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From your discription did you buy a mccullochi??? Fyi most aggressive clownfish alive lol
No I don’t think it is that right? Here’s a pic from a video I took of him. Now my other clownfishes tail fins are a little more torn up (not shown in that pic) hope it doesn’t mess him up anymore.

Attachments

• F140C154-5194-4877-9DFF-841B0A6127C0.png
    F140C154-5194-4877-9DFF-841B0A6127C0.png
    665.4 KB · Views: 52

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have more than a pair of clownfish you're in for a rough time. They are very territorial and from what others who have had "clown harems" - they must be from same brood to keep multiples or you will have your own "WWE matches" until the strongest survive.

OP
OP
Leon Gorani

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have more than a pair of clownfish you're in for a rough time. They are very territorial and from what others who have had "clown harems" - they must be from same brood to keep multiples or you will have your own "WWE matches" until the strongest survive.
No I only have these two in the photo. Yeah I’ve heard of clown harems, that’s not something I would wanna do

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I don’t think it is that right? Here’s a pic from a video I took of him. Now my other clownfishes tail fins are a little more torn up (not shown in that pic) hope it doesn’t mess him up anymore.
Sea & reef clowns love them

Bellamy803

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've battled and I think I have finally won....... The two clowns I have were so violent for a while that I listed one of them for sale. During that time I was determined to get them to get along. So I started off with the one that I thought was losing the battle. Fins were pretty bad. He was in overall ok health but needed a break. Put him in the acclimation box with a few pieces of PVC so he could hide and dropped it down low enough he could see everything going on (hoping they would bond without being able to actually get after each other). After about 5 days and fins looking a little better I released him to see how it would go. Did NOT go well. The aggressor had now established a no swim zone lol. I have a camera on my system and I ALMOST left work I was so tired of watching the ongoing fight. Anyhow this time I decided the aggressor was going in the acclimation box until she sells.

I dropped the box down to where the other clowns territory is. (Giant nem on the corner of my tank) and basically forced the aggressor to watch him enjoy his life in the nem. This lasted for 5-6 days and I was close to having a buyer lined up for her and then to my amazement she escaped the acclimation box.

Ever since she got out she's been fairly nice. She did reclaim her Nem which I always thought she would but she has stopped harassing the other guy now. They hang out part of the day - play a little and then go their separate ways at night lol. This has been a few weeks now and still nothing I cannot live with.

I got lucky I know.....but I do believe taking the one causing the problems and forcing her to be in the area the other one is for an extended period of time may be worth a shot.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had the original in the tank and how large are each of them. It is possible that you introduced a female to a female. Depends on size. Also could be the new was transitioning as was yours. If the fins are getting beat up, it is not a good sign. Usually it is just chasing and flashing and darting, no real damage. Damage means incompatibility usually.
They are clowns for a reason though.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I think newbie may have to take a timeout in an acclimation box

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back