Should I start dosing?

Doobie65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is about 3 months old. I have 2 small moni cap, 7 small zoa frags, 2head frogspawn 2 head torch and some recordia mushrooms. My parameters as of yesterday are Alk /6.9 calcium/450 Mag/1350 PH/8.2 Nitrate 5.0 and O phosphate. Everything seems to stay pretty steady at those numbers. I had been performing 20% WC every week but I just started every 2 weeks and nothing has fallen in 2 weeks. Seems like I would be using more of Calcium and Alk in 2 weeks. My calcium is on the high side and Alk on the low side. Should I dose to bring up the alk only? Or wait for alk or calcium to drop? Not sure what to do. Everything is looking very healthy. Havent noticed any significant growth as its only been about 6 weeks that ive had coral. Would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Difrano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue as you, and started dosing BRS liquid soda ash just to raise alk and give a boost to pH too. I raised the alk slowly to 8.5 and I am dosing 10 ml a day and the number is keeping steady at 8.5.

OP
OP
D

Doobie65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue as you, and started dosing BRS liquid soda ash just to raise alk and give a boost to pH too. I raised the alk slowly to 8.5 and I am dosing 10 ml a day and the number is keeping steady at 8.5.
Can you tell me how much per dose and how many times per day? I think BRS has a calculator as well . Thanks so much!

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sure if at 3months w 20% weekly WC & not much coral, the tank would need dosing. parameters r remaining stable due to weekly WC which is replenishing elements. If it was me, I'd test water often while keeping a record and an eye on corals. Once they start growing and demand outpaces WC replenishments then I'd consider dosing. Test a freshly made saltwater and compare the parameters with the existing tank water right before WC, the difference is ur weekly consumption rate. ALso, I'd raise PO4 to 0.03 or else may end up with Dino.

OP
OP
D

Doobie65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sure if at 3months w 20% weekly WC & not much coral, the tank would need dosing. parameters r remaining stable due to weekly WC which is replenishing elements. If it was me, I'd test water often while keeping a record and an eye on corals. Once they start growing and demand outpaces WC replenishments then I'd consider dosing. Test a freshly made saltwater and compare the parameters with the existing tank water right before WC, the difference is ur weekly consumption rate. ALso, I'd raise PO4 to 0.03 or else may end up with Dino.
Thanks so much! One of the things I thought about was , would not having a higher Alk cause coral not too grow. I just got over a huge diatom or dino invasion lol. Not sure which one as was never diagnosed. Still grows on the glass and substrate a tiny bit but it was horrble covering everything in the tank! So with that being said, I may actually have a bit of phosphate but was being consumed by the algae. I added a UV sterilizer and added chemipure elite and was gone in 8 days. Thinking of cutting back on the UV now. Maybe put on a timer for a cohple hours daily use.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
R u sure it was dino? they have tiny bubbles like this
1594220189607.png

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the others have suggested you need to raise your alkalinity 6.9 is a bit low although I run mine at 7.2 so your not in to bad of shape. Also, you don’t want to run 0 phosphate especially on a new tank. I would shoot for around .05 phosphate and nitrate around what it’s sitting at now. You will need an accurate low range tester like the Hanna and test both every few days Until the tank matures.

OP
OP
D

Doobie65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the others have suggested you need to raise your alkalinity 6.9 is a bit low although I run mine at 7.2 so your not in to bad of shape. Also, you don’t want to run 0 phosphate especially on a new tank. I would shoot for around .05 phosphate and nitrate around what it’s sitting at now. You will need an accurate low range tester like the Hanna and test both every few days Until the tank matures.
Thank you, Im looking into supplements now to raise alk a bit but not affect anything else like PH . Ive been told that bicarbonate is best in my situation and not soda ash as it will raise PH.Im not sure about the Salifer phosphate test, it could be misleading. I need another brand to be sure like a Hanna.

OP
OP
D

Doobie65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
R u sure it was dino? they have tiny bubbles like this
1594220189607.png
I dont think it was Dino because it had no bubbles and when I wipe it, it turns to dust and dissipates quickly. BUT I perfor.ed a 20% wc on Sunday and although not near as bad, my rock is brown again! I tested .y rodi water and says no phosphate and no silicate and tds is at 0 but I still feel like its the water somehow!. Im going to perform next time with lfs or distilled and see if it makes a difference. I have the RO buddy with the extra resin filter so its 4 stage so im not sure.....

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, Im looking into supplements now to raise alk a bit but not affect anything else like PH . Ive been told that bicarbonate is best in my situation and not soda ash as it will raise PH.Im not sure about the Salifer phosphate test, it could be misleading. I need another brand to be sure like a Hanna.

I use both and check them against each other. Both always very close but the Hana is easier to read instead of leaving it up to my eyes.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think it was Dino because it had no bubbles and when I wipe it, it turns to dust and dissipates quickly. BUT I perfor.ed a 20% wc on Sunday and although not near as bad, my rock is brown again! I tested .y rodi water and says no phosphate and no silicate and tds is at 0 but I still feel like its the water somehow!. Im going to perform next time with lfs or distilled and see if it makes a difference. I have the RO buddy with the extra resin filter so its 4 stage so im not sure.....
that's good, not Dino then. Did tank go through cycle prior to adding livestock? otherwise it just may be going through the early stage uglies. As far as Alk, if it was me I'd use Kalkwasser at your stage so I don't have to worry about PH and dosing.

OP
OP
D

Doobie65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's good, not Dino then. Did tank go through cycle prior to adding livestock? otherwise it just may be going through the early stage uglies. As far as Alk, if it was me I'd use Kalkwasser at your stage so I don't have to worry about PH and dosing.
I started the tank with dry rock ( marcos). Yea I have kalkwasser and plan to use it after I bump up the Alk. They say its pretty good at keeping parameters stable.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 38.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back