Should I start no-pix on a brand new aquarium?

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
So I’m setting up a new XXXL900 for a FOWLR tank. I am planning at least 4 large angels, a miniatus grouper, porcupine puffer, marine beta and a red volitan lion fish. I know many of them are dirty eaters and controlling nitrates and phosphates may be an issue. Is it acceptable to start dosing no-pox at some time during the cycling period?
Planning to cycle with ammonia.
Also I have rock which I removed from a tank that had velvet and the velvet returned when I added new quarantined fish. This rock has been out of the water in a Rubbermaid tote since some time in June. Is there any chance that the velvet could still be viable on this rock.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m setting up a new XXXL900 for a FOWLR tank. I am planning at least 4 large angels, a miniatus grouper, porcupine puffer, marine beta and a red volitan lion fish. I know many of them are dirty eaters and controlling nitrates and phosphates may be an issue. Is it acceptable to start dosing no-pox at some time during the cycling period?
Planning to cycle with ammonia.
Also I have rock which I removed from a tank that had velvet and the velvet returned when I added new quarantined fish. This rock has been out of the water in a Rubbermaid tote since some time in June. Is there any chance that the velvet could still be viable on this rock.
Put the old rock in some saltwater and let it soak for a few days. Test for phosphates, and if it is leaching use lanthanum chloride in the tubes to precipitate the Phosphate and avoid adding P to the new system. You might need to do this more than once if your rock is leaching P.

Once it is clean, rinse and add it to the new tank.. Probably wouldn't hurt to rinse and scrub the old rock before you start this.

Adding ammonia isn't going to impact P levels, but it will cycle to nitrates. When the cycle is finished change the water to remove nitrates.

I don't know about the velvet survival on dry rock. Some things go dormant and you may still need a wet/fishless stage to deal with that issue? I really don't know about velvet treatments, so there you go. GL!

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Put the old rock in some saltwater and let it soak for a few days. Test for phosphates, and if it is leaching use lanthanum chloride in the tubes to precipitate the Phosphate and avoid adding P to the new system. You might need to do this more than once if your rock is leaching P.

Once it is clean, rinse and add it to the new tank.. Probably wouldn't hurt to rinse and scrub the old rock before you start this.

Adding ammonia isn't going to impact P levels, but it will cycle to nitrates. When the cycle is finished change the water to remove nitrates.

I don't know about the velvet survival on dry rock. Some things go dormant and you may still need a wet/fishless stage to deal with that issue? I really don't know about velvet treatments, so there you go. GL!
I understand your point on making sure the rock isn’t leaching phosphate thanks. But my question is can you start dosing no-pox as a preemptive stand against high nutrients or is it counter productive. Don’t want to get to a place where I am battling them like in my other predator tank. Looking for best option to run the tank at acceptable levels.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand your point on making sure the rock isn’t leaching phosphate thanks. But my question is can you start dosing no-pox as a preemptive stand against high nutrients or is it counter productive. Don’t want to get to a place where I am battling them like in my other predator tank. Looking for best option to run the tank at acceptable levels.
I would wait until/if your tank develops unacceptable levels of nitrate and phosphate. Nopox feeds bacteria that consume/breakdown these compounds - if they are not present at high levels you've wasted your money.

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I would wait until/if your tank develops unacceptable levels of nitrate and phosphate. Nopox feeds bacteria that consume/breakdown these compounds - if they are not present at high levels you've wasted your money.
That’s what I wanted to know. Was afraid the no-pox could alter the cycle bacteria.

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I started my no-pox after my initial cycle 50% water change.
At that time, nitrates were 50ppm after the change.
I carbon dosed that downward to 10ppm in 6 months and it’s stayed there 5 years now.
Thanks. I’ll wait until the cycle is done.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back