Should I start shopping for a new tank???

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got any pointers for things to look at if I decide to go that route?
I’ve never bought a new tank and never will. Heck my last tank was free, a 180g and was 30yrs old, but in perfect condition.

Look at the seams, ask to see it filled with water, check for scratches. If it is in overall good condition then the seller took care it.

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I be keeping the water heated and oxygenated while making the transfer. This already sounds like it’s going to be a nightmare/ disaster lol wish I had reefing friends in the area for some help but I will probably have to call up a LFS
Well the worst part is taking down the old tank then moving the new one in then refilling it. It’d be easy if your tanks were side by side and you could just transfer everything once but that never happens ha
You can get away with your fish being in a 5gal bucket or two for a bit but I do recommend an air stone in them at the least and a heater if it’s going to be more than a few hours.
The black stock tank at tractor supply or other places would make it simple since they’re thick plastic. Toss the water fish and rock all in with a heater and a pump. Take down the old tank, put the new one up. Then start refilling it from the plastic tub.

OP
OP
Chayo

Chayo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering how long the bubbles have been there.
For maybe 2 months (that I noticed) and it’s progressing I noticed more bubbles the other day so then I decided to make this post

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that's the only seam that's like that on the tank, it looks like the weakness is near the top of the tank. There's not much water preasure there. If that's the only bad spot, if I decided to get a new tank, I would just lower the water level to below the bad spot. Get a new tank, then transfer. Of course depending on you filtering setup.

Joeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For maybe 2 months (that I noticed) and it’s progressing I noticed more bubbles the other day so then I decided to make this post
Well then, this seems like a bonafide reason to buy a new tank. I know it sucks but I'm confident that there are more than a few people who would kill to be able to present this news to their partner as they are entering their credit card info on the new tank checkout screen. If you're in that group, run with it my friend :p

OP
OP
Chayo

Chayo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well then, this seems like a bonafide reason to buy a new tank. I know it sucks but I'm confident that there are more than a few people who would kill to be able to present this news to their partner as they are entering their credit card info on the new tank checkout screen. If you're in that group, run with it my friend :p
I’ve stated my case and it seems like the new water box upgrade might be processed soon ;) as soon as I can get a hold of someone on the phones to confirm some details lol

mikeg18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Geez. Sounds bad. I understand the hassle of taking down a tank, but will be much better than cleaning up all that water on your floor. As most have already said, there are nice tank options out there. Not sure where you live. Good luck

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for where to put the livestock. In my opinion, rubber made tubs, kiddie pool, look on amazon for larger rubbermade shallow 100 gallon tubs. (used for many things such as outdoor stream beds, etc. ) But, transferring the water to the rubber made tubs, some rocks, and then catching the fish and putting them into 1 or 2 tubs (depending on agression etc). Make sure you add heaters to the tubs and place them out of the way of where you want the new tank. If you have corals. It'd be nice if the LFS could house those for you temporarily if you have a good relationship Otherwise you'll need to find a way to mount a light over the tubs for the corals. I have a friend that had a 50 gallon burst on him in the middle of the night. There was no warning, the glass cracked and everything landed on the floor.

He woke up to it and him and his wife were picking up fish, and corals and placing into tubs with fresh salt water and heaters. In all of it he lost one fish! He had them in heated tubs oxygenated and with circulation pumps until he got a replacement tank setup for 2 months.

The key to this is don't panic, think through what you're livestock need to live. Heated and oxygenated water and bacteria. Pulling your rocks, provides the filtration and placing them into tubs. Pulling the water and the heaters keeps the chemistry the same. then it's just netting the fish and/or using buckets to catch the fish and move them into the tubs. Siphon the remaining water into the tub(s) and rock work. Move the lights. Now you can do whatever you want to the old tank...

It's a pain in the butt, yes! But, insurmountable, no. If you take your time it's not even that bad. Just make sure you have a plan of what equipment you're going to use to maintain life in the temporary housing. Once you have all the equipment planned out, it's easy to move the livestock. ;)

I had another friend that had done a tank tear down to redo his plumbing... He seriously kept the fish and rocks in a kiddie pool (hard sided) in his living room until the plumbing had cured. (about a week). Fish are resilient if given the minimum to survive.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This would be an easy repair if you’re willing. I can tell you what steps to take
Simply place all livestock in a Rubbermaid tub for now

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you can fill that size tank in 3-Days - the silicone would probably need more time to cure.

Perhaps @Joe Glass Cages can chime in. He builds these things and knows his stuff.
hmmmm.... No sure what silicone is being used.

We prefer 3 weeks cure time on tanks 25" and short and 4 weeks on tanks 26" and taller. Hope that helps.

OP
OP
Chayo

Chayo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you move the rocks and fish into a smaller temporary tank while you wait for the new one?
I don’t have anything to temporary house everything, I’m keeping my fingers crossed nothing bad happens from the time I can get a new tank ;Nailbiting

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I cant put enough trust in myself to do it :oops:
Yes- “If we all did the things we are really capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves.”
Its quite easy as i have successfully resealed over 75 tanks for customers when i had my pet store and had to repair a 360g tank i had which not only was fixed but resold and the doctor who bought it , loves it

OP
OP
Chayo

Chayo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes- “If we all did the things we are really capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves.”
Its quite easy as i have successfully resealed over 75 tanks for customers when i had my pet store and had to repair a 360g tank i had which not only was fixed but resold and the doctor who bought it , loves it
If only you lived closer I would invite you over to look at it and it give me a estimate lol I spotted another seam with the same issue towards the back of the tank, so It’s sounds like a real head scratcher to fix myself :eek: Saving money over buying a tank is tempting but not for my first time job, I would kick myself ;Blackeyeif there was a failure in the future due to my poor work lol

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back