Should I take out these unions on my return line or no?

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put this check valve and union on my return manifold, but when I attach the return line into the tank, both unions push up right against the wall of the stand. I am worried that this will cause the pipe in the overflow to leak at the hole of the overflow box. Should I be worried or should it be fine? When I screwed on the Red Sea union into the tank overflow hole, it did push the return pipe inside the overflow box just a little, it pushed it towards the back. And when I put on the output of the return line in the tank weird it straightened it out. not sure if that will be bad in the future...
Thanks

A34EE37A-7C3B-4042-ACA6-19AD56EE648A.jpeg 1F7765C8-B7FB-4BC7-8933-E448DB604315.jpeg

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming I understand correctly you are saying that the union is against the wall of the stand and putting sideways pressure on the plumbing?
If so I personally wouldn't leave it like that. It would make me uneasy having the sideways pressure on the glass from the bulkhead. I don't know that it would cause and issue, and I'd say there is a good chance it wouldn't but it would always worry me just a little.

I think they make lower profile unions that may fix the issue.

If I've completely misunderstood what you've said then please disregard my answer.

OP
OP
Leon Gorani

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming I understand correctly you are saying that the union is against the wall of the stand and putting sideways pressure on the plumbing?
If so I personally wouldn't leave it like that. It would make me uneasy having the sideways pressure on the glass from the bulkhead. I don't know that it would cause and issue, and I'd say there is a good chance it wouldn't but it would always worry me just a little.

If I've completely misunderstood what you've said then please disregard my answer.yNo you’re correct with what I was trying to say. I don’t know why I didn’t see this problem earlier, I assumed it wasn’t going to push the

OP
OP
Leon Gorani

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If I've completely misunderstood what you've said then please disregard my answer.
sorry I don't know what I did with that reply lol, but yes that's exactly what I meant. I feel like it was pushing it to the side after it was all tightened up. I don't know how I didn't realize that before I did all the plumbing, but I will definitely be redoing that part. ill have to add a check valve somewhere else.

I couldn't find the lower profile unions but I will check, and now bulk reef supply is sold out of the same size check valve, my luck, so I will have to use a 1 inch and convert the pluming to that size. since my return is using 3/4 inch now.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry I don't know what I did with that reply lol, but yes that's exactly what I meant. I feel like it was pushing it to the side after it was all tightened up. I don't know how I didn't realize that before I did all the plumbing, but I will definitely be redoing that part. ill have to add a check valve somewhere else.

I couldn't find the lower profile unions but I will check, and now bulk reef supply is sold out of the same size check valve, my luck, so I will have to use a 1 inch and convert the pluming to that size. since my return is using 3/4 inch now.
If you measure the outside of the nut on the union is it 2 1/2 inches, if so I believe there is a union made by Spears (457-007 for the slip x slip) that is only about 1 3/4 inches that may help. I don't know that you can get one that matches your color theme though, and it's schedule 40 while I'm assuming the one now is schedule 80.

As for the check valve I'd recommend not using one unless there is some reason that you have to. They're known to leak without proper maintenance and if you are relying on it to prevent a back siphon to keep your sump from overflowing it can cause a mess if it fails.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back