Should i take these damsels out.. eating my zoas

Lol21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The velvet damsel is eating my zoas.. i noticed they were dissapearing.. i thought they were sick.. then i noticed mine nipn ip nip nip nip constantly in them... i feed the fish slot too... So i just spent the last 2 hours tearing 159g tabk aoart.. water everywhere.. and finally caught the jerk.

I habe two blue damsels in here as well.. they have attacked corals yet.. or my fish that are in the tank but i do know they aggressivly hunt any new fish i put in the tank thats their size.. and they also attack my arms.

The only good thing i like about them is they kick up my sand bed which i like because it keeps it from sitting in one spot 24.7

Should i remove them too since my tank is torn apart ? I qctually just caught one but i put him ina small jar for now...

What do you guys think ?

I worry hell attack my baby blue tang that im qurantining when i put it in my tabk

Seanislav

Rectangular Money Pit Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they were there first, they're bound to be buttheads...even to fish that are larger than they are. My experience with damsels on the whole is they're good hardy fish for cycling a new system, but a pain in the **** otherwise. I'd evict the little gomers.

OP
OP
L

Lol21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i caught em all. Going to give the velvet damsel away the two blue ones. Not sure yet..

But im not having a 6$ fish eat hundreds in zoas.

Got this was annoying.. floors all wet im wet... and rock decorations never go back the were lol.. was a pain man all for 3 damsels.

My foxface at one freaked out so much he almost jumped out the water in my face.. that freaked me out

Seanislav

Rectangular Money Pit Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup...it was even worse trying to catch a melanurus wrasse...they're hyper-fast, and they burrow into the sand when they're freaked out. Had to rake every rock out of a 300 gallon tank. A great way to waste an entire evening, to be sure...

OP
OP
L

Lol21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup...it was even worse trying to catch a melanurus wrasse...they're hyper-fast, and they burrow into the sand when they're freaked out. Had to rake every rock out of a 300 gallon tank. A great way to waste an entire evening, to be sure...

Did yours melenarous nip corals because i have one in qt im going to put in my tank

Rogued_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you inspect the zoas for amphipods by any chance? A friend of mine had zoas start missing and he couldn’t figure it out until he inspected them at night with a flash light they were full of amphipods eating them.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You're doing WHAT with my cousins?
MVIMG_20190908_181428054.jpg

OP
OP
L

Lol21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're doing WHAT with my cousins?
MVIMG_20190908_181428054.jpg

Dont get me wrong. I love my velvet damsel.. i like him way better thrn those blue damsels who attack me wheb i put my arms in.. or attack other fish..

But the velvet was eating my zoas. For example today i got a deal at petco with 2 neon.bright orange zoa heads... I put it next to my other zoas and glue it down.. both heads open up.. Then i sit and watch my tank and he goes right over nips 1 head in half. Then he goes to a probably 30 polyp mini colony of radioactive zoas i got 3 days ago and goes nip nip nip nip nip nip.

I noticed a frag of probly 10 heads of dragon eyes half of them were missing chunks similar to how he took the chunk of that double head orange zoa.

So yea i wish he wasnt eating them because i like him.. hes non aggressive to any fish eveb new fish.. but i cant lose $$$ in zoas.. Maybe if i had some huge colony it would be fine but not wheb i have small 2-10 polyp frags im trying to grow.

For now i tossed him in my QT tank with the wrasse. The two blue damsels i dunno what ima do.. give em away or something.. Those two will kill any new fish i get i hate em.

Sometimes i wish my 150 had a sump (non drilled old tank) so i could put unwanted fish or crap in the sump lol.. I hate giving away stuff i paid for

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh I feel you. Had to rehome a yellow and black striped Chromis of some sort because he was a jerk to my blue chromis George :(

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 64 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back