Should I top off my water before doing a water change to adjust salinity?

Dad2Wyatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So finals are looming for me so Ive been swamped with college work the past couple days and haven’t been topping my water off (I know I know ATO).

I’ve been testing my water daily this week trying to determine my nutrient intake. With today being day 7 I finally started to see a drop in nutrients meaning my weekly water changes should be able to maintain my nutrient levels as of right now with no dosing.

i did notice quite a bit of evaporation so I tested my salinity and it was pretty high around 40 ppt.

should I top off with RO/DI water before doing my water change? The other idea I considered was doing the water change as normal, followed by a RO top off afterwards?

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I can't go 24 hours without having to top off my 'new' frag tank.

Top off with RODI before doing the water change. Easier than having to make less salty new saltwater for the changes. That make sense?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would top it off so you know exactly how much to add. You may want to bring it down over a few days if you have sensitive inverts. Fish can handle a drop just fine though.

I suppose you could also mix up the new water to a lower salinity but that's probably more work to get it correct.

Maybe time to invest in an ATO :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
No- change and add accordingly. You can however pre-make new water at same salinity as tank and enter new water

OP
OP
Dad2Wyatt

Dad2Wyatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I can't go 24 hours without having to top off my 'new' frag tank.

Top off with RODI before doing the water change. Easier than having to make less salty new saltwater for the changes. That make sense?
100%! I tried that method during cycling when I was having issues and it was more of a mess than it was worth lol

OP
OP
Dad2Wyatt

Dad2Wyatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would top it off so you know exactly how much to add. You may want to bring it down over a few days if you have sensitive inverts. Fish can handle a drop just fine though.

I suppose you could also mix up the new water to a lower salinity but that's probably more work to get it correct.

Maybe time to invest in an ATO :)
I knew the ATO comment would still sneak in here somewhere you May be right. It wasn’t a big deal at first but since I went top less I’ve had to top off almost daily

OP
OP
Dad2Wyatt

Dad2Wyatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah topping off and then doing water changes would just make your life so much more easier, no need to re-calculate concentrations.
Agreed here! I may not have been clear but my salt is mixed to 35ppt and that’s going in my tank at some point today bc I refuse to adjust it

my main concern was topping off before or after the change but it seems from the replies that both methods would work!

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So finals are looming for me so Ive been swamped with college work the past couple days and haven’t been topping my water off (I know I know ATO).

I’ve been testing my water daily this week trying to determine my nutrient intake. With today being day 7 I finally started to see a drop in nutrients meaning my weekly water changes should be able to maintain my nutrient levels as of right now with no dosing.

i did notice quite a bit of evaporation so I tested my salinity and it was pretty high around 40 ppt.

should I top off with RO/DI water before doing my water change? The other idea I considered was doing the water change as normal, followed by a RO top off afterwards?
yes, top it off.

Also you can get a cheap (11 or so USD) ATO if you want. It uses a bottle and isn’t electronic, but works

edit:

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed here! I may not have been clear but my salt is mixed to 35ppt and that’s going in my tank at some point today bc I refuse to adjust it

my main concern was topping off before or after the change but it seems from the replies that both methods would work!
I advise you to fill the tank to it's normal level with RODI and then do your water change and forget all the other silliness.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back