Should I treat new fish with copper in QT?

ReefKing101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had 3 chromis in QT with no copper for about 3 weeks. All are eating well and healthy. Should I copper treat before going into the DT? Some people say yes and others no. What happens if they have ich but i can’t see it? I do f want to have to go through another ich outbreak

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,wait for more input,i would say no copper,weaken immune system,in healthy fish,poss leave in qt another week or two,happy reefing :)

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It comes down to several factors, mainly what is your acceptable level of risk?

Odds are they don't have ich, likely would have shown it by now. However, if they are carrying it with no visible signs and you transfer them, you'll end up with ich in your display. Depending on your stock and their level of health, you may never even know it. Though one fish weakens and gets infected, which can cascade through the entire population, or only infect the one fish.

My one experience with something similar is I just observed a Hippo Tang for 4 weeks, was perfect the entire time. Literally 5 hours before I was going to put it in the display, it showed ich. So I treated it via tank Transfer, spot free, went into my display, and guess who broke out with ich a few weeks later? Kind of my bad for screwing up the tank transfer, but still, just because they aren't showing it doesn't mean they aren't carrying it.

Mind you, that is a Hippo Tang, rediculously sensitive to ich, but still, because I didn't copper the fish I am now forced to manage ich in my display, which aside from the Hippo, is going great, even the Hippo is spot free right now. If you don't have or plan to have any ich susceptible species, I'd go for it. If you do, I might consider treatment. If you do decide to treat, there are other options besides copper which are less harsh on fish. A million different ich meds, tank transfer method, hyposalinity, etc.

Hopefully answered your question without getting too rambly.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be more worried about uronema since once it is in your tank there is no removing it and...they are chromis.

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 cents, I’ve had my 5 green Chromis in 20gal QT since late July 2, August 3. No signs of disease but observed closely because of concerns stated above. Matching same feeds as DT, but they still are growing, decided to let them get bigger so my piggy tangs and blue headed fairy wrasse don’t out compete for food. I didn’t realize how touchy they are till read Jay’s posts! If husband ok’s, May start little reef in 20gal with them,

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never treat any fish with copper especially if there is already nothing wrong with it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back