Should i use a clown to cycle my tank?

rknott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no, no, no, no, no, no, no. Why do it? Ask yourself why. It is typically because "I want a fish to watch". Use Tim's. Don't be selfish. Respect the fish. Patience is the best thing to learn in this hobby. Enjoy the journey.

OP
OP
Algaewarrior

Algaewarrior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a little update. I got the ammonia from my lfs. Dosed only 1ml to the tank and added microbacter start xlm. About 3 days later my clownfish started attacking the Male from the matted pair of cardinals that we have. He clamped on to his top fin and would not let go. My girlfriend said he had to go so I put him in the rock cycling tank. So far he has acted completely normal the last 4 days and hasn't been gasping for air. Everyone has made some valid points, but I think I'm going to see how this works out.

20200516_153956.jpg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
about ten thousand people have done, and fifty thousand are going to do, what did occur so you can't feel bad based on raw numbers, that part isn't debated.

Someone with 1 single seneye measurement of a fish-in cycle-change the hobby with new data.

coming soon, someday someone with a seneye will report on a fish in cycle, which is fish and bottle bac and a little feed all on day one.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

=travesty we didnt get seneye off a day 1 $300 anemone lol. talk about pushing boundaries. I dang near faltered when I saw his post, he pushed me past my limits I tried to circle back all cool though in the nick of time to match the outcome it all worked 100% perfectly and is not supposed to.

case in point.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats the most blatant start Ive ever seen in reefing, and in that, it becomes a cycler's reference gem.

50 thousand skip cycles are coming down the tube, like it or not.

get your fish disease boot straps on, ammonia is not the concern that was baby-easy to handle. move water bac sitting in water to a new aquarium/wow lol

See Gee Sea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and the two are still alive and well. Followed the BRS suggestion with a very heavy dose of Bio Spira but in the end the bioload of 2 tiny clownfish was nowhere near enough of an ammonia source for a 350 liter tank so the cycle went on longer than had I dosed ammonium chloride alone.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 40 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back