Should I use a Ultaviolet sterilizer

Eggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is definitely a topic that people have been split on, even before this post appeared.
I used one in a FOWLR for Tangs because I couldn't keep a Cleaner Shrimp, due to Triggers and a Harly Tusk. It worked for me for maintaining fish health.

droblack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquacon is not a reputable source of info, at least not a good one. Do they sell UV sterilizers? Any other sources of info on UV?

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquacon is not a reputable source of info, at least not a good one. Do they sell UV sterilizers? Any other sources of info on UV?

Like I said, another Reef Central.. If you want to know about UV, go google it...
My opinion is that sterilizers that are sold for home aquariums are very undersized for their rated application...They are junk IMHO...

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed....if you want to find the info look it up!! a source was given and if it does not say what you want it to say, find a site that does. everyone has the opinion.......

ThaBeast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have (and use) a uv sterilizer. Having said that, Julian Sprung and Charles Delbeek's book 'The Reef Aquarium, Vol 3' lists effective 'kill exposure' at 336,000 microwatts per square centimeter for ich. Most, if not all, uv sterilizers sold in our hobby are grossly undersized to provide this level of exposure. I run mine at 1/4 the manufacturer's recommended flow rate to achieve a useful level of exposure.

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To clear the air..

I thought about this all night & wanted to clear something up. First of all, I have been in this hobby for many many years & trust me, I have tried almost every product out there. The posts that I reply to are based on my personal opinions not by what I have read in the forums or online. The reason I keep bringing up RC is because that site is full of "know it all" reefers that don't really know squat..Sure, a handfull do, but most do not. They figure that if they have a million posts they must be the gods of reefing. Then they have chemists that answer posts like all of their readers have a Masters Degree so they can understand them..
Reefing is a hobby & everyone will do things differently than the next person will. Bottom line is reefing can also be a VERY expensive hobby if you are willing to be like me & go out and buy every product out there. I try to save people the heartache of spending their kid's college funds on their addiction. I know of a person in Sebastian Florida that only has a box of water with no filtration whatsoever... Top that off, no water change for over 6 years... Oh yeah, it is a full blown reef setup!! My system, has just a sock & big skimmer with ozone, that is it.. I found for me, simplicity is the key..
I am sorry if I sound rude to anyone, it sometimes seems that way in forums or chat rooms. I am just trying to save fellow reefers a buck or two...

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a fish only system I swear by them but I would not have one on a reef system. They do inactivate a necessary part of the food chain which is required for many lower life forms to survive. When I kept a heavily stocked fish only tank though I could tell when my bulb was dirty or nearing exhaustion as the fish woul not appear as healthy and the water would get more cloudy looking.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back