Should I use my chiller? Or sell it?

Jovany Coronado

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a chiller that was given to me by a buddy of mine. Should I sell it and buy some more corals lol or install it? I’m located in Miami, FL. My temperature swings 2 degrees at most throughout the day. What’s your opinion on chillers?

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s one of those pieces of equipment were you either need one or you don’t, and it depends what your keeping in terms of corals etc

I have 2 tanks, a S650 with no chiller, and temperature can fluctuate by around 2-3c for short periods in summer, but my big tank has one because of what’s going in it, SPS.

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say keep it.
I bought a tank and it came with a chiller as well. Never hooked it up until my AC took a dive, and was out of AC for almost 3 days. I lived in Miami, so I know how high the temperature can get, and then just imagine your AC going out in the middle of Miami winter and its 90 degrees outside.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I'd say keep it for a season to see how your tank lives through the summer. If you see temp spikes install it. If after 2 seasons you figure you don't need it, sell it.

That said, I had a small chiller (1/5 HP) sitting in the basement and didn't need it for 5 years; bought it for a song just in case it's needed with a new larger tank. This year it saved my tank - at some point dumping bags of ice no longer helped.

It's a keeper and I'm already running a loop to outside for future install on the new build. This is my second AquaLogic unit - Love the fact that they can be put outside instead of blowing hot air into the room.

OP
OP
J

Jovany Coronado

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never thought of the ac taking a dump and the temperature spike in the house. I guess I’ll keep it lol

wphan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re in Florida. It’s better to have it.

OP
OP
J

Jovany Coronado

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea it’s always the what if’s that get ya so I better have it and not need it, then need it and not have it

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
K E E P !!!

My 660 came with one and I of course Knew I wouldnt need it, so I got rid of it. GUESS WHAT I HAD TO BUY LAST MONTH ? YUP :(:(

OP
OP
J

Jovany Coronado

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
K E E P !!!

My 660 came with one and I of course Knew I wouldnt need it, so I got rid of it. GUESS WHAT I HAD TO BUY LAST MONTH ? YUP :(:(

Yikessss I don’t wanna go through that. And a 660 sounds impressive!!! Atleast you probably have more time to play with since it’s more water volume for temperature swings

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
K E E P !!!

This is that same thing that happens to us all :D. I just sold an Apex that I "WASN'T" gonna use, and now I would use it if/when I setup a new system.

Chillers seems to loose a lot of value used, but they are good to have. I didn't have one for the longest time and got one recently. Tank temps would get to 81 (running fans all day and I have central A/C). Now tank between 78/79.

In my system, running the chiller caused a chain reaction. Not evaporating nearly as much water, so humidity in house feels great. Chiller only runs a few times a day versus the fans running for hours. Oh, with less evaporation I no longer use kalk stirrer so that was a bummer. Will need to adjust it.

Overall, loving the chiller for my SPS tank.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the AC fail in my house summer before last and without a chiller, I’d have been facing major problems. Tank tends to run about 5-6 degrees above ambient and my house hit 85 ..... that’s tank crash territory. So think of a chiller a as redundancy/insurance.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a thread recently about running a chiller or not. Being honest it’s been years since I had one. Finally got another one and was jumping for joy.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 34 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back