Should i wait for copper? And how to treat fins

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've just gotten 4 fish, 2 clownfish, a hippo tang, and a flasher wrasse. The hippo and flasher are in the same tank. The flasher helps the hippo feel more comfortable to feed and when its out the hippo is out. They are in a quarantine tank. They have been eating really well (day 3 now) and the wrasse is a fan of the nori not sure why. Although, the fin or the wrasse is really ragged when it first came in because in the videos the seller sent me i think he was put together with other male wrasses. Im wondering if i should start copper later and wait for the fin to heal up? And anyone got a suggestion on what to do now if i postpone the copper? Im pretty positive the tang has ich (i dont think theres a way for it to come without ich). Also, anyone know the exact species of the wrasse? Cause from where i am we just call all wrasses the same thing just with the color it came in.
(Sorry bout the tang photobombing a bit, they go everywhere together)

E76B2CD9-6D2C-454E-9A0D-879BE56BCC10.jpeg B5E03262-9D82-4DCB-B99C-8BBC651A676D.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,lets ask an expert @Jay Hemdal ,nice additions, :)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO - if you see ich on the tang, you need to start a copper treatment right away, as it gets much more difficult to treat once it becomes entrenched in the tank. Use a good copper test kit, or Hanna copper checker and get to full copper dose in 48 hours. Wrasses are a bit sensitive to copper, but it will just need to get through it.
The wrasses fins need watching, but as they are, would not cause you to delay copper, you should quarantine the clowns under the same protocol so that they are equally treated.
What copper product do you intend to use?
Jay

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO - if you see ich on the tang, you need to start a copper treatment right away, as it gets much more difficult to treat once it becomes entrenched in the tank. Use a good copper test kit, or Hanna copper checker and get to full copper dose in 48 hours. Wrasses are a bit sensitive to copper, but it will just need to get through it.
The wrasses fins need watching, but as they are, would not cause you to delay copper, you should quarantine the clowns under the same protocol so that they are equally treated.
What copper product do you intend to use?
Jay
yeah been using hanna for a while now changed quarantining for me. I haven't seen any ich on the tang but theres a high chance it has it. but since they are eating ill continue on with copper like you said. i have some antibiotics on hand just in case the fins get worse since i've had experience with copper and bac infections (in my last post). meanwhile the clowns are going through GC since i saw some stringy poop from them. i've been using cupramine cause they don't sell coppersafe here.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remember Cupramine can give false positives on some ammonia tests, and never use reducing agents with Cupramine, as it can release free copper....ammonia or chlorine removers are the two common problem chemicals.
Jay

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just remember Cupramine can give false positives on some ammonia tests, and never use reducing agents with Cupramine, as it can release free copper....ammonia or chlorine removers are the two common problem chemicals.
Jay
i,am reading your posts twice ;) trying to absorb like a sponge:cool:thanks as always, Dr.Jay:)

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay
thank you, ill make sure to control the ammonia by doing water changes. i have an ammonia badge in there to monitor it.

Quiverfull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along and adding a question... I have some blue eyed cardinals in QT. they were all eating well until I started cupramine (followed directions - dosed over 48 hours). They seemed to have stopped eating since starting (3 days ago). Is this normal and how long do I wait until I need to intervene? What intervention - reduce dose with water changes? Using and API test kit and it looks to be 0.5 mg/L (best guess with the color chart). Thanks for information..

TrishK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be more likely to use the transfer method as neither the hippo or the wrasse (looks like my carpenter flasher) will handle copper well. Start giving them Glucan in their food. Best thing I ever did!!

A8C2F16D-0AB2-4865-B555-B408332491B4.jpeg

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along and adding a question... I have some blue eyed cardinals in QT. they were all eating well until I started cupramine (followed directions - dosed over 48 hours). They seemed to have stopped eating since starting (3 days ago). Is this normal and how long do I wait until I need to intervene? What intervention - reduce dose with water changes? Using and API test kit and it looks to be 0.5 mg/L (best guess with the color chart). Thanks for information..
I would be more likely to use the transfer method as neither the hippo or the wrasse (looks like my carpenter flasher) will handle copper well. Start giving them Glucan in their food. Best thing I ever did!!

A8C2F16D-0AB2-4865-B555-B408332491B4.jpeg
i forgot to update you all, sadly the wrasse stopped eating a day before i started copper, and died the morning before (not because of copper) not sure what happened maybe because of the injuries, didn't see it get worse though. i raised the copper really slowly abt a week and the hippo is currently doing well still eating a lot. i might try the hybrid ttm for some of the more sensitive fish in the next batch because i already started copper on the hippo. im using vits on the food they are eating ill try glucan if i could get my hands on that.

TrishK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i forgot to update you all, sadly the wrasse stopped eating a day before i started copper, and died the morning before (not because of copper) not sure what happened maybe because of the injuries, didn't see it get worse though. i raised the copper really slowly abt a week and the hippo is currently doing well still eating a lot. i might try the hybrid ttm for some of the more sensitive fish in the next batch because i already started copper on the hippo. im using vits on the food they are eating ill try glucan if i could get my hands on that.

I got the glucan on Amazon We have a 180 reef that we ick manage. Actually we had run fallow because we “thought” we had marine velvet but it really only affected one fish that had been QT previously and in our tank for months. So don’t think it was really that but didn’t take chances. Didn’t think to copper the Yellow tang that we’ve had for over a year. Think he was carrying the ick with no symptoms because when WE got a hippo she broke out in ick right away and we did nothing. Left her be. Fed her 3x a day large variety of frozen food soaked in vitamins, garlic and glucan, got an UV and her spots eventually went away and haven’t seen any on her for months or any of the other fish! Keep them all healthy and stress free and they will fight it off. Our FOWLR is ick free completely. Wish the reef was but just way too many fish to QT now and best not to stress them all out and destroy all our coral if everyone is thriving.

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the glucan on Amazon We have a 180 reef that we ick manage. Actually we had run fallow because we “thought” we had marine velvet but it really only affected one fish that had been QT previously and in our tank for months. So don’t think it was really that but didn’t take chances. Didn’t think to copper the Yellow tang that we’ve had for over a year. Think he was carrying the ick with no symptoms because when WE got a hippo she broke out in ick right away and we did nothing. Left her be. Fed her 3x a day large variety of frozen food soaked in vitamins, garlic and glucan, got an UV and her spots eventually went away and haven’t seen any on her for months or any of the other fish! Keep them all healthy and stress free and they will fight it off. Our FOWLR is ick free completely. Wish the reef was but just way too many fish to QT now and best not to stress them all out and destroy all our coral if everyone is thriving.
before i teared down this tank to start over (before it was a FOWLR), i did ich management and it went great (although i never actually quarantine them beforehand i just plopped them in). little do i know most fish here are infected by different things, not all of the fishes i plopped in lived. sadly, the cause of the tear down is that i bought a regal angel, it ate well for one day then the second day it broke out in velvet and died not long after. all the fish in there died shortly after. i learnt my lesson after that, to at least QT for a while and observe. sadly most fish in my country are full of different diseases and ill have to medicate them with everything anyway... ill still try the glucan to help their immune system up since garlic worked wonders for me.

TrishK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I always quarantine just to keep other diseases out of the tank. I’m sure one day I’ll have to go fallow again but gosh it blows

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back