Should I Worry??!! New Glass Tank Construction from Planet Aquarium?

Indy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received my first glass aquarium (built by Planet Aquarium), and I have to say I'm very disappointed! For one, the work is pretty sloppy, but more importantly, I worry about the integrity of some of the seems. Please take a look at the pics below and let me know if I should worry. I can see an air pocket in one corner, and another seem along the top of the short end of the tank is light on silicone. For those who have had glass tanks, is this normal?

IMG_5089.jpg
IMG_5087.jpg

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats not a concern imo. I have way more bubbles in my silicone, because i did it myself.

If it worries you id ask the maker. But these are normal. The only real concern is when bubbles form when its got water in it. Becaise that means the panels are separating from the silicone due to water pressure. Which means that the glass wasnt thick enough.

carlo_oz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this is a brand new tank. Then I would take it back or contact them for sure. In my opinion this is not acceptable.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2nd pic is hard to really see but that 1st one, yeesh. I would at least email them that pic and ask them what else they were doing at the same time they laid that seam.

OP
OP
I

Indy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the opinions. The second picture shows a seem where it looks like 1/2 the silicon has been chiseled out.

Other seems in the tank came out nicely, so I know they have the skill. Unfortunately this seem is one of the most visible, and again I worry about structural integrity. I have avoided glass tanks in the past because of fear of leaking.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a new tank?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then I would find that to be completely unacceptable. Even though what you show is more cosmetic than structural, it would be a non starter for me.

ilyad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooof. That first pic looks like a terrible seam. Whatever you decide on doing, definitely leak test it before walking away. Having a bubble may be nothing but visual, but can also be a sign that there wasnt good adhesion on that seam. You will see it discolor if that's the case because as it will try to unstick it'll discolor from the stress. That being said, I would absolutely be ticked off if that's how I got my tank. I would try to get a replacement or even return in and go somewhere else. I just got my 75 gal tank from Crystal Dynamics and there were two small indentations and I was slightly unpleased it wasnt 100% perfect.

tvu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s becoming common with Planet tanks unfortunately. Seems they don’t care anymore.

drukkosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SO what have you decided to do with the tank? I am considering purchasing one of their larger tanks but thats worrying me......

drukkosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea Planet Aquariums is hit or miss. Check out my nightmare:

post#8

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 21 46.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 23 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • None.

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.7%
Back