OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
How noticeable are the scratches? Is it acrylic or glass?
It's glass, and yes, pretty noticeable.
I bought the tank second hand from a guy that had 3 huge pirhanas and a giant dinosaur of a pleco and apparently wasn't careful about cleaning the glass at all.

OP
OrchidMiss

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Eh, outside of larger water changes imho its negligible. Both are 4 ft tanks :thinking-face:. Always go bigger, even more so when its not your money!
The large water changes are kinda what I'm worries about.
With the 10g, it's super easy. I mix up a WC for my 3 home tanks and just bring 3g in to work with me. Simple and done in 10 mins. That won't be the case with a large tank. So I will definitely need to make trips out on Saturdays.
I don't know if I'm actually going to do a second work tank now lol I'm talking myself out of it now.
I just want a bigger, nicer one at home lol.

mattdg

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I didn't do it, yet. I'm still thinking about it.
I have a lot going on right now haha... and I might be able to talk the good Doc I work for to buy a larger tank for work!
We spoke briefly yesterday, and he said sure, work some things up for me and let me know.
Sooooo..... I'm researching NEW tanks!!! I'm thinking a 75g or possibly up to 120. I don't know just yet! Depends on his budget lol
I've found both 75 - 120 to be great sized tanks, visually, flow, light options and spread. With that said a bigger tank does exponentially cost more time and money. Between 75-300, stability is similar, especially with today's tech and access to quality info, but you'll be using far less salt / additives / power to maintain a smaller aquarium. Yes, SPS will eventually fill a smaller tank, but it will also eventually fill the largest tank.

Atlantik icon reef aquarium LED lighting
BRS

Did you start off in the reef hobby buying used equipment? Do you still use pre-owned equipment? (Choose all that apply)

• Yes, I did start off with some used equipment. It made getting everything going easier!

Votes: 136 40.2%
  • Yes, I did start off with some used equipment, but it was a mistake I won't make again.

Votes: 17 5.0%
  • I still buy used equipment! It's a helpful way to save money in this hobby!

Votes: 105 31.1%
  • Nope! Everything I used to get started was new! And I'm glad I started with all new stuff!

Votes: 82 24.3%
  • Nope! Everything I used to get started was new! But, I should've looked around for used options!

Votes: 34 10.1%
  • I still only buy new equipment! Lots of problems avoided that way!

Votes: 44 13.0%
  • Other... (Post in the thread)

Votes: 13 3.8%
AVAST