Should my sea cucumber always have his tentacles out?

djryan2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a yellow sea cucumber, Colochirus robustus, from my LFS yesterday. As my post history shows, I panicked when I first added him as their salinity was lower than expected - it was two points lower than my DT. I dripped him for about 90 minutes and then added him as the salinities matched. He quickly moved and found a spot on my glass and extended the tentacles to feed. He accepted food later last night. When I woke up he had his tentacles out but when I just went to feed him he had closed tentacles. Should I be concerned?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They do extend and retract regularly

OP
OP
djryan2000

djryan2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
upon some experimentation I realized he is closing the tentacles due to me blocking the light from my window when I walk in the room. I went to the opposite side and waited 5 minutes and he opened back up.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
the only time I see them retract when he pulls food in. I realized it was because I was scaring him by blocking the window's light.
That will do it- reaction

Ghost25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you feeding? I've tried a few times with these guys and they all died on me even when other filter feeders like coco worms and porcelain crabs were happy.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What are you feeding? I've tried a few times with these guys and they all died on me even when other filter feeders like coco worms and porcelain crabs were happy.
Thet eat liquid or dried phyto and zoo plankton. They will also benefit from the substrate being stirred regularly releasing bacteria and detritus into the water.

OP
OP
djryan2000

djryan2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently, a mix of Coral Max coral food (phyto based), Can O’ Cyclops, baby brine eggs, and BRS copepod powder. I just took the food I give to my dragonet and gave it to him too and I’ve seen a feeding response. I’m probably going to refine his feeding so I only give him phyto based foods. I’ve only had him for a day now.... so I haven’t exactly successfully kept one yet. LFS associates thought my mix of food would work though.

OP
OP
djryan2000

djryan2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spoke too soon. He was open that day but the last two days has been closed during the daytime. Once it’s later (8pmish and later) he’s open. Is this normal?

Ghost25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spoke too soon. He was open that day but the last two days has been closed during the daytime. Once it’s later (8pmish and later) he’s open. Is this normal?
My experience was that they had their mouth parts extended for 1-3 weeks then started closing up more frequently until they stayed closed. They look fine otherwise but when I finally try to pick them up they are adheared to the rock but totally stiff and dead.

OP
OP
djryan2000

djryan2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience was that they had their mouth parts extended for 1-3 weeks then started closing up more frequently until they stayed closed. They look fine otherwise but when I finally try to pick them up they are adheared to the rock but totally stiff and dead.
I called my LFS who said to expect them to be nocturnal. Mine is open at night. Added nopox to my doser in case nitrates were too high. I’ll watch out for that. Thank you.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 70 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.8%
Back