Should R2R have a "disagree" reaction or something?

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think R2R should have a "disagree" reaction or something. I know it may hurt some people's feelings, but I think the benefits of clearly being able to gauge the community's reaction to something would help forge consensus and ensure that good advice is clearly able to stand out. Something to think about.

What do you all think?

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
it’s been talked about many many times and the census has always been no. Many different reasons but I believe the largest being be harassment is what they have said in the past. If you disagree they tell you just use words and make a post.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be a good idea just to quickly and easily show that you disagree with someone's opinion, it may prevent someone from taking bad advice by not reading far enough along in a thread.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think R2R should have a "disagree" reaction or something. I know it may hurt some people's feelings, but I think the benefits of clearly being able to gauge the community's reaction to something would help forge consensus and ensure that good advice is clearly able to stand out. Something to think about.

What do you all think?

it’s been talked about many many times and the census has always been no. Many different reasons but I believe the largest being be harassment is what they have said in the past. If you disagree they tell you just use words and make a post.

They have come out with an upvote/down vote system but it is only available in certain thread types like question or poll threads. I think they are testing the waters so to speak for features down the road.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that it would be a useful tool if used respectfully, but with this being a public forum nobody can guarantee that. There’s thousands of members, the likelihood of this reaction being misused or misinterpreted is astronomical and will likely lead to a lot of conflicts where people feel like they’ve been disrespected. There have been many cases where I’ve disagreed with someone here, but in all cases, eloquently explaining my views, opinions, or experiences has solved the issue without much conflict or violence.

Oftentimes, if you find yourself against an unreasonable individual, it’s best to just let bygones be bygones and stop responding to them. I feel like with a disagree reaction available, that exit would likely decrease in frequency due to someone disagreeing with the post and the OP responding to the reaction.

Using words, being respectful, and staying objective have been great strategies for me in mitigating conflict here, between myself and others but also between members. I highly recommend this approach, as we are all learning new things everyday about this hobby that we love and enjoy, and opposing experiences are common due to the nature of our pastime.

TL;DR We don’t need a disagree reaction, either disagree with someone politely and respectfully or don’t respond at all :)

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that it would be a useful tool if used respectfully, but with this being a public forum nobody can guarantee that. There’s thousands of members, the likelihood of this reaction being misused or misinterpreted is astronomical and will likely lead to a lot of conflicts where people feel like they’ve been disrespected. There have been many cases where I’ve disagreed with someone here, but in all cases, eloquently explaining my views, opinions, or experiences has solved the issue without much conflict or violence.

Oftentimes, if you find yourself against an unreasonable individual, it’s best to just let bygones be bygones and stop responding to them. I feel like with a disagree reaction available, that exit would likely decrease in frequency due to someone disagreeing with the post and the OP responding to the reaction.

Using words, being respectful, and staying objective have been great strategies for me in mitigating conflict here, between myself and others but also between members. I highly recommend this approach, as we are all learning new things everyday about this hobby that we love and enjoy, and opposing experiences are common due to the nature of our pastime.

TL;DR We don’t need a disagree reaction, either disagree with someone politely and respectfully or don’t respond at all :)
I disagree @DanDman

OP
OP
hds4216

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That's definitely the logical approach.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A dislike button can also stifle good advice that is new and not in line with groupthink, such a new cycling rules which benefit by reducing unneeded expenditures and purchases and by taking guesswork out of something as critical as an ethical and safe initial start date for bioload

for example, if we had a dislike button and I typed nobody in history has ever had stuck ammonia levels in the tenths ppm, that offends every owner of a titration kit who reads in the tenths or full ppm free ammonia as we speak. They want their tests to be right, trustworthy, reliable and they want to buy retail offsets for the condition they’ve tested. If you shatter their paradigm justified or not, you get the reactive down click. Truth doesn’t matter

Fifteen hundred negative clicks reinforces the group think, and we all stay on the retail dole for the rest of our reefing lives taking a back seat to the truth. Control leaves our hands and goes into random purchases at the store or online, deliberate confident reefing gets kicked out another ten years.

so how do we know when people make up junk, to keep it from being accepted as truth?

Because cycling is pure consequence, there's no lucking.

there's life or death, no in between.

Bad advice kills reefs, the advice giver will be drummed out of town digitally by the shame of tanks of dead fish posted. There are natural consequences for bad advice way worse than the reactive like or dislIke button

we were told reefing was the only branch of science where all animals present symptom-free to total lack of nh3 control. ask your resident nurse, biologist, Dr., chemist, veterinarian if it works that way anywhere in the animal kingdom except for where bottle bac is for sale. (the hallmark false reading is api or red sea 2ppm, but a perfect tank with bright clear water and happy fish all corals open)

eighty new readers want a downvote thread now heh

Last edited:

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they should get rid of the like button. This is a forum not Facebook. People tend to focus on how many likes they get. It feeds their ego. Let everyone form an opinion and keep it to their self.
I'd love to see a disagree button, but peeps can't handle it. It's rejection. It would cause chaos.God knows the Mods have enough on their plate now.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Creates bashing which is not ethical

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there was a disagree button I would wear it out on my own posts, so better if we not have one :)

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 163 61.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 91 34.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.0%
Back