Should there be bacteria in the saltwater I purchase from my LFS?

DeepSea75

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took clean buckets to my LFS to fill with saltwater and when I got home I noticed significant amounts of sediment/bacteria on the bottom. I assumed I was getting new saltwater from storage tanks but feel that perhaps I received water from their display tanks system. Is it normal to have so much bacteria or particulate matter in the water you purchase?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say no it is not normal to get ehat you are describing (whether sediments/detritus/etc it dont sound right). You are not really going to "see" bacteria and some in even freshly made water is not really relevant. No reason i van think of that you should be seeing anything other than water in what you buy though.

OP
OP
DeepSea75

DeepSea75

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say no it is not normal to get ehat you are describing (whether sediments/detritus/etc it dont sound right). You are not really going to "see" bacteria and some in even freshly made water is not really relevant. No reason i van think of that you should be seeing anything other than water in what you buy though.
That’s what I thought. I’m also a bit frustrated that this LFS filled two buckets (clearly a different color) with saltwater when I designated them for RODI. I think I’m going to ask to see their “freshly made saltwater” tank. I guess I’ll be mixing my own water if I don’t trust them.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 36 59.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back