Should we rethink and refine means and methods for cycling tanks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bro what are you not getting here?
The title of the thread says it all.
BTW - the title says "Should we rethink and refine means and methods for cycling tanks?"

What I don't 'get' is that taking all of the contents of one tank and putting them in a new tank says nothing about rethinking and refining means and methods for cycling tanks. Believe it or not - its been done since 1980 or before. BTW - I agree with the idea that the ideas should be 're-examined'. But - lets face it - Though some posters here want to claim they are re-inventing the holy grail - many people who have been doing this for a long time - have seen it all before. I appreciate the discussion, etc. But the last couple posts didnt make sense to me - so I wanted to clarify exactly what we were talking about. Now I see - there is nothing new here 'yet'

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW - the title says "Should we rethink and refine means and methods for cycling tanks?"

What I don't 'get' is that taking all of the contents of one tank and putting them in a new tank says nothing about rethinking and refining means and methods for cycling tanks. Believe it or not - its been done since 1980 or before. BTW - I agree with the idea that the ideas should be 're-examined'. But - lets face it - Though some posters here want to claim they are re-inventing the holy grail - many people who have been doing this for a long time - have seen it all before. I appreciate the discussion, etc. But the last couple posts didnt make sense to me - so I wanted to clarify exactly what we were talking about. Now I see - there is nothing new here 'yet'
Ok I get you.
Maybe someone can be so kind to change the thread title to means and methods of cycling and stocking a tank?
I agree with where your at. Ive been following the pros that have been doing it for years. They are sometimes showcased in the monthly showcases here.
I never claimed I was going to be re inventing the wheel. I said I was purely looking at ways to help reefers get tank stocked after the science has been met.
Where it went from there is where it went.
I do see the significance in stocking a new tank with healthy corals when it is ready as the pros have shown us.
What im hoping to do is collect some data that can be applied by new reefers.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This belongs in your thread as a reference for this reason

-pet store rocks skip cycled and brought home with corals, we'd have to read to see if fish went in too they may have. its a true skip cycle.

- a new reefer could indeed copy this but spend less on corals until they feel froggy

-no bottle bac, live surface skip cycle transfer, a zero wait option. its the fastest legit cycle one can do, from the group of the three main ways we all cycle reef tanks here.

those are top shelf corals, that's not a slouchy skip cycle reef its a top shelf reef, quick.

that also constitutes about 98% of all the reefs ever made at any reef convention since 1987. its a well tested option, but only among sellers :)

that tank proves that reef convention cycles have no expiry date.

buyers who take the info from sellers and use that info to circumvent the required wait times for cycles, while growing top shelf sps, or who do use retailed items such as bottle bac to also carry quick bioload, Ike's biospira tank, are today's new wave cyclers. old wave, going to the wayside. its going 8 track way

Reactions: LRT

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

This belongs in your thread as a reference for this reason

-pet store rocks skip cycled and brought home with corals, we'd have to read to see if fish went in too they may have. its a true skip cycle.

- a new reefer could indeed copy this but spend less on corals until they feel froggy

-no bottle bac, live surface skip cycle transfer, a zero wait option. its the fastest legit cycle one can do, from the group of the three main ways we all cycle reef tanks here.

those are top shelf corals, that's not a slouchy skip cycle reef its a top shelf reef, quick.

that also constitutes about 98% of all the reefs ever made at any reef convention since 1987. its a well tested option, but only among sellers :)

that tank proves that reef convention cycles have no expiry date.

buyers who take the info from sellers and use that info to circumvent the required wait times for cycles, while growing top shelf sps, or who do use retailed items such as bottle bac to also carry quick bioload, Ike's biospira tank, are today's new wave cyclers. old wave, going to the wayside. its going 8 track way
Do you think its only unknown in your mind. Its widely known - and common sense for years. Unless everyone that goes to an aquarium show thinks that the participants kill everything they bring - OR - the bring a set of rock/filter stocked with bacteria? Why is this so novel to you?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you're just being dramatic. you've seen the help posts on live rock setups 1000 times, fake run here from you

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want to edit that lowball comment before I post five examples of how the reefing public views rock transfer cycles? This is why I only selectively read your posts, you destroy others work threads but never make your own. You only critique, never build, make or add.

your MO is solid critique only which is a very safe zone to work from because you can just select a new angle of disagreement to drag out ten more pages.

You ruined MSteven1's hard work in documentation and came out flat, after going six pages directly opposite api testing we had in huge pictures right on file. its a form of lab trolling, what you do.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

you claimed we didn't need a distinction, that the public follows all nuances like we do. Read that thread, for the love of pete don't post in it, just read it and don't try and redirect, make waves, tell everyone you have a master's degree so you're the right auditor to be present (from Taricha's thread) or become challenging there just because its new ground you hadn't seen till just now.

that reefer was sold bottle bac incorrectly, old cycling science took his cash. if we hadn't intercepted he very well could have been told to dose ammonia, we figured that all out by linking him to prior works just like his. there are hundreds more just like that, those are the #1 examples I collect in all of reefing we have thousands of hours logged of how people spend money and handle cycling backwards, because old cycling rules do not make a distinction for ready cycled rocks. old rules assume all rocks need cycling, you're seeing it above without slant and you've seen it 200 more times, you were pretending above/that post of yours was the default challenge mode you go to and dig in heels for pages.

Last edited:

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here @Reefahholic
Probably important i show you here.
Sticks and goni went in around 2 month mark.
Could have gone in around week 3 when I got alk dialed.
Yes I know your going point out how insigficant the slimer is.
That's the goblin anacro next to it though;)

Either way. The experimental tank will be stocked in record time.
Maybe with frags from the sticks your seeing here..
Soon as alk is stable. Im hoping within first week of it being "cycled for livestock ready";)
Its nothing we haven't seen yet though.
Whats your plan man?
20211017_102108.jpg
20211017_102043.jpg
20211017_102030.jpg
20211017_102002.jpg
He’s got a stick!

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

you claimed we didn't need a distinction, that the public follows all nuances like we do. Read that thread, for the love of pete don't post in it
;Hilarious:D

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s got a stick!
You mad you didn't think of this and the instastock thread bro? Are you losing traffic on your channel because my 2 threads are stealing all the attention?
So far you've done nothing but mis ID and throw insults:)
All you have shown in either thread is a feeble insufficient attempt at live rock and a tote full of dead Marco Rock.
I think your mad brah
Why you riding coat tails?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully after the minor speed bump your thread can hop back on track now LRT. Can’t wait to see what you find regarding cycle end date patterns in your experiments.

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully after the minor speed bump your thread can hop back on track now LRT. Can’t wait to see what you find regarding cycle end date patterns in your experiments.
Can't wait.
I'm not surprised really. Heres the deal man. I can truly understand where folks are coming from outside of the straight insults and trolling. I surely don't need my dbl major phsycology degree to see whats happening and I'm sure the majority of folks watching dont need it either.
I'm glad its all played out now.
I'm super happy we have worked through most of it.
We can cut hairs and play potatoes tomadumb all day long here.
At the end of the day sticks and stones may break some bones but the work threads aren't going anywhere. We can downplay the significance of what im trying to show. Or we can be real and admit that everything we have discussed and shown can and should be super significant for new reefers no matter how insignificant some of these "pros" want to make it out to be.
Some are just mad because I don't think like or believe in the significance of certain things and have shown same results.
Some maybe have a failing you tube channel that needs attention idk.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mad you didn't think of this and the instastock thread bro? Are you losing traffic on your channel because my 2 threads are stealing all the attention?
So far you've done nothing but mis ID and throw insults:)
All you have shown in either thread is a feeble insufficient attempt at live rock and a tote full of dead Marco Rock.
I think your mad brah
Why you riding coat tails?
I don’t believe I’ve insulted you. I’ve basically talked about cycling rock. The comment I made about the tiles was obviously in fun, but I looks like you’re upset now.

I’m not mad at all. Nothing personal for me. I find it a little strange that you’re so obsessed with achieving zero numbers with the rock. With all the equipment we have today that is easily done. You can basically do that by limiting feeding and with Siporax alone. Not that hard. That’s not even getting into protein skimmers, media reactors, LaCI, etc.

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t believe I’ve insulted you. I’ve basically talked about cycling rock. The comment I made about the tiles was obviously in fun, but I looks like you’re upset now.

I’m not mad at all. Nothing personal for me. I find it a little strange that you’re so obsessed with achieving zero numbers with the rock. With all the equipment we have today that is easily done. You can basically do that by limiting feeding and with Siporax alone. Not that hard. That’s not even getting into protein skimmers, media reactors, LaCI, etc.
Let's keep it super real and then im totally done with this conversation.
You did come into the instachallenge a little "clowny". Showed a bunch of dead white Marco Rock and an almost equally devoid attempt at gulf live rock tank.
I'm trying to do something positive here and it seems like all you want to do is derail what im trying to do, mis ID and only want to see what you want to see in my tanks that fits your particular agenda.
What that is im strongly leaning towards your salty and mad now because you maybe had big plans to do something with the Marco Rock that's been soaking. And you very well could do big things with it. But until you meet me on the level. Stop insulting my tank and ready to have a constructive, positive conversation that can be enjoyed by all stop trolling man. Its not a good look

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's keep it super real and then im totally done with this conversation.
You did come into the instachallenge a little "clowny". Showed a bunch of dead white Marco Rock and an almost equally devoid attempt at gulf live rock tank.
I'm trying to do something positive here and it seems like all you want to do is derail what im trying to do, mis ID and only want to see what you want to see in my tanks that fits your particular agenda.
What that is im strongly leaning towards your salty and mad now because you maybe had big plans to do something with the Marco Rock that's been soaking. And you very well could do big things with it. But until you meet me on the level. Stop insulting my tank and ready to have a constructive, positive conversation that can be enjoyed by all stop trolling man. Its not a good look
Are you kidding me. Nobody insulted your tank. I was picking with you in fun about the green tiles because you were obviously sensitive about it saying “they don’t look as bad in person as they do on camera.”

What do you mean equally devoid attemp at gulf live rock? My gulf live rock did very well. It grew Acro’s well within the fist year. I only shut down that tank because I caught Covid and spent 7 days in ICU and basically wanted to take a break for a while.

No you’re starting to get a little too aggressive man. Chill out.

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@revhtree or mods can we get the banter in last cpl pages cleaned up between me and @Reefahholic cleaned up and deleted please?
This thread could be highly educational and informative at the end of the day its been totally derailed from its original intention.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think its only unknown in your mind. Its widely known - and common sense for years. Unless everyone that goes to an aquarium show thinks that the participants kill everything they bring - OR - the bring a set of rock/filter stocked with bacteria? Why is this so novel to you?
Exactly.

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The significance of the conversation is absoloutely obvious to the majority of folks that have posted in and followed through the last 17 pages of this thread.
This response and standpoint is not only ignorant but disrespectful to the rest of the folks that happen to disagree.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The significance of the conversation is absoloutely obvious to the majority of folks that have posted in and followed through the last 17 pages of this thread.
This response and standpoint is not only ignorant but disrespectful to the rest of the folks that happen to disagree.
Nope, I just agree with @MnFish1. We’re all entitled to our opinions bro.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think the thread got any worse than common qt/no qt posts these things work out once everybody’s steam vents out. Just now on way home at a stoplight I was thinking about Tarichas work thread and how he dealt with two posters that really have derailed about fifteen pages with not one tenth the quality work T has presented. It’s not like critics set up counter experiments, log the data patterns and present a clear case. there’s only easy words, for pages, no example links where the critic made different findings years ago or had spent time developing a theory before the particular thread, they seem attracted to the energy and just run critique mode

Taricha simply has to endure that kind of side input to have his Prime doser thread in a public forum open to input. If discovery types don’t endure that unreasonable slight then we dont get new discoveries. Harsh critics don’t produce material they only evaluate others produced material it’s a critical balance I guess.

folks can click on badges and see the totality of offers by anyone. I do this sometimes before I click the ignore button. Rtr has value in that button, for folks who simply cannot agree.

for sure reefcentral would have lasted longer with that button.

Status
Not open for further replies.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back