Should we SLOW our FLOW at night time in our reef tanks? Are you?

Do you lower your water flow at night time for your corals/fish?

• YES

Votes: 255 37.2%
  • NO

Votes: 417 60.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 13 1.9%

• Total voters

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figure the 'weaker' swimming fish like my clowns are going to retreat to their flower pot, etc.. overnight anyways.
I need that flow to keep detritus suspended etc.. so the filtration can pick it up - don't want stuff settling out overnight in the display - plus ph is already taking a hit, don't want to reduce aeration

jdpiii3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my MP 60's in ReefCrest mode they are constantly ramping up and down, simulating the environment by changing the speed frequently and drastically.

And for my Maxspect Gyre I keep it in random mode.

Constantly moving constantly changing.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gravity is stronger at night just because there aren't any high or strong waves doesn't mean the water doesn't move with more force. Gravity is going to be working against the waves which is why you see less of them. More pressure means more forceful flow at night.
This I agree with, the tidal swell and current might be stronger but not necessarily the waves as you stated in your first post.

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol… the moon does’t only exist at night… some silly comments about that so far…. and it effects tides, not waves. Waves are either long period from distance sources (storms) or short period local wind swell. The latter is the predictable source of daily cycles for waves, the former is usually seasonal.

As someone who spends a ton of time on the ocean, wind swell does typically subside and nearshore areas will calm during the evening/night. Of course, regions can be different.

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my flow the same as much as it already at noght considering i have two eco tech mp 40's on reef crest mode 24/7

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Research shows the ocean actually moves more violently at night. The reason why waves move more during the day is because there is more human activity on the ocean during the day. But naturally at night the ocean moves with stronger force.
I'd be really surprised if human activity actually effects waves. Do you have any evidence for that? Genuinely curious.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my return pump steady. But my 2 gyres are hooked up to the icecap to apex vdm interface. I have a couple diferent profiles that run throughout the day. And a storm profile that blast the flow 3 days a week to kick up some detritus for filtering and possible feeding. The main thing is my flow is varied and somewhat random.

Nemosis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most coral close up at night regardless of flow so if they are out and happy during the day, flow wouldn’t affect them at night. If I made any changes to flow at night, I would turn the flow up to kick up any detritus for better filtration and back down just before the lights come back on.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have any fancy high tech gadgets on my tank! Frankly I am not to tech savvy is why! LOL. I do have a night mode on my cheap jebao's and have tried using it but the problem is I have dark curtains in the room and the sensors wont change back to day mode unless I am in there with the light on! I don t know why but felt the need to say that! LOL

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just said when the sun sets the gravity force on the ocean increases. With the sun out gravity on the ocean is less so it allows more waves. Of course the moon is still there lol.
Gravity is 0.12% stronger at night.

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just said when the sun sets the gravity force on the ocean increases. With the sun out gravity on the ocean is less so it allows more waves. Of course the moon is still there lol.
The moon is the dominant force on tides, but neither the sun or moon effect waves in any significant manner (via gravitational forces).

Ly78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have higher flow at night for better oxygen exchange since lights off, dunno if it makes sense but thats my take heh

Reeffraff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is getting derailed due to some fundamental misunderstandings about tides and gravity. Hopefully this will help. When sun and moon are in phase, you get strong spring tides, when out of phase, you get weaker neap tides. These phases can happen at any time of day or night depending on time of month/year.

Earth-Tides-pull-water-Sun-and-the.jpg

Last edited:

KWolfe81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol… the moon does’t only exist at night… some silly comments about that so far…. and it effects tides, not waves. Waves are either long period from distance sources (storms) or short period local wind swell. The latter is the predictable source of daily cycles for waves, the former is usually seasonal.

Seriously. Sounds like a lot of people here need to go back and take a middle school science class. Kinda has me questioning whether the advice I get on here is of the same caliber.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Seriously. Sounds like a lot of people here need to go back and take a middle school science class. Kinda has me questioning whether the advice I get on here is of the same caliber.
That’s why I like to see the systems of those offering said advice.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%

Back