Should we SLOW our FLOW at night time in our reef tanks? Are you?

Do you lower your water flow at night time for your corals/fish?

• YES

Votes: 255 37.2%
  • NO

Votes: 417 60.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 13 1.9%

• Total voters

Darren in Tacoma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is waaaay more gravity on the Sun than on the Earth and the Moon, which is why the waves on the Sun are so big, except at night. You can see this easily by looking directly at the Sun during the day. The Moon is 1/6 the size of the Earth, so has 1/6 the gravity and is the reason the waves on the Moon oceans are so calm. Looking through a telescope, you will see practically no waves.
Because my reef tank houses a Space Invader Pectinia and my Clowns don't seem to be of this planet, I try to replicate Mars, which is red.

Eggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no! Lol

just for laughs folks.

Attachments

• 67E8C2B8-C30A-4B27-8FFD-B3983715B3B5.jpeg
    67E8C2B8-C30A-4B27-8FFD-B3983715B3B5.jpeg
    63.8 KB · Views: 33

benmed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waves get stronger at night since the distance between the Earth and moon decreases and gravitational force increases.
The distance of the earth from the moon is not determined by day / night… it determined by the earth spinning on its axis. So while it may (or may not) be a good idea to turn down the flow at night, it’s not because the moon is closer at night.

benmed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is waaaay more gravity on the Sun than on the Earth and the Moon, which is why the waves on the Sun are so big, except at night. You can see this easily by looking directly at the Sun during the day. The Moon is 1/6 the size of the Earth, so has 1/6 the gravity and is the reason the waves on the Moon oceans are so calm. Looking through a telescope, you will see practically no waves.
Because my reef tank houses a Space Invader Pectinia and my Clowns don't seem to be of this planet, I try to replicate Mars, which is red.
#science

ben5impson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At night the waves are actually larger and more frequent because the moon has more pull on the ocean then the sun does. So in my opinion should just be the same all day.
100% correct. I hadn't thought of this. I knew the surf was louder at night and the tides often higher growing up by the ocean but put it down to less noise and being home to see the hige tides which i have also seen of a day. but results immediately showed that they are larger at night.
probably also the lower wind at night prevents large sprt from turning choppy. but as for tides it would depend on the mood I guess as the moon is often seen of a day also. so I also do and even after this consideration would keep them the same at night as it would cycle just the same. atleast until someone brings out a pump that automatically adjusts for the moon and the tide times :) so many factors involved when it comes to surf and tides though so yeah hands down, wouldn't lower my flow at night unless it was just to keep things quieter.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel it's beneficial to have it slow down at night for fish and inverts to rest as well make it easier for corals to grab food. That gives me that much more ability to crank it up even more during peak light hours. If you have the option to adjust its always good to adjust.

aquadise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a light sensor which is an original product of Tunze, connecting to my 2 Tunze wave heads. It will turn off the wave heads when the light is off.
No reason for this. I just feel my fishes are tired of swimming all day long, so I turn off the wave heads to let the fishes rest...
Another reason is when the wave heads off at night, the dirty dirt/stuff in the main tank is effectively goes to the sump. The tank would be more clear.
Just personal experience, I have no evidence.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back