Should we SLOW our FLOW at night time in our reef tanks? Are you?

Do you lower your water flow at night time for your corals/fish?

• YES

Votes: 255 37.2%
  • NO

Votes: 417 60.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 13 1.9%

• Total voters

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the comments are very funny.
Do you people not realize the world is flat so the sun and moon don't do anything to ocean waves or swell. :) it's a fact, look it up.

I turn off the wave action to my 2 wavs but the MP40 is the same as day waves. Speed is constant between all 3.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shut off my two Wavs which sit about mid way up and double the power of my two MP40s which sit on the ground. Cleans the bottom and kicks everything up to the overflow.

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have experimented, over the years, regarding flow night/day.
For the last year, I've set my flow a bit lower at night.
The reason: My Acros seem to have better polyp extension at night.

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I’ll disagree here. Costal areas are usually calmer wind wise at night. thus there are less and smaller wind driven waves at night.
During the day most days there are sea breezes are driven by heating over the near shore land.

Can confirm. Live 3 miles from the beach and have a personal weather station:

wind.jpg

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can not believe that so far, 60% say no ???
The natural way of all bodies of water on earth slow down after sunset. We all know that, so what's with the 60% ?

Kscope

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ocean is without a doubt calmer at night and the moon has nothing to do with it. The moon controls only the tides. The sun (and the heat it produces) controls currents and waves. The sun's energy (heat) produce wind currents. Land mass and obstacles (i.e. mountains and lack of) has effects on the direction of the wind. The ocean is pretty much the same way. Currents are created by the heating/cooling /salinity of the water and the obstacles it bends around. Waves are created by the wind (and storms) which are also controlled by the heating and cooling of the air. The air is cooler at night and hence the lower wind speed and calmer waves. With all that said earthquakes, undersea landslides, storms and other natural events under the sea can make them stronger any time of day.

WhiskyTango

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tidal currents are independent of sunshine, however wind is not. I reduce my flow at night to “tidal only”, and it is increased during the day to “tidal + wind generated wave action”.

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just trying to explain how gravity works with the ocean at night.
Umm, you realize the moon doesn't just shine at night, right? It actually orbits the earth every 27 days and therefore its gravitational pull on the oceans also changes its angle as it moves around the earth. It doesn't have anything to do with the time of day.

Besides, the oceans surround the entire earth. So at any given time, some of them are in the daylight and others are at night, while the position of the moon is the same for all of them.

BEST. THREAD. EVAH!

Thats-Gold-Jerry-Gold-Kenny-Bania-Seinfeld-Quote.gif

Last edited:

WhiskyTango

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gravity is stronger at night just because there aren't any high or strong waves doesn't mean the water doesn't move with more force. Gravity is going to be working against the waves which is why you see less of them. More pressure means more forceful flow at night.
Wow, just wow.

StarrJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry man I’ve been 40 miles offshore at night and it can be slick calm.

Surface winds are generally more near shore during the day. Certainly as you move further offshore seas can be higher all dependent on swell direction, fetch, and water depth.
It can also be flat calm in the middle of the ocean at any given time. 40 miles offshore is still near coastal. I spend 6 months a year on a ship and the worst weather always seems to be at night with all things equal such as swell direction, fetch and water depth. On a reef in shallow water near coastal ya probably calmer at night. However we try to keep the ship away from the reefs.

JohnD4g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOAH, slow your flow there partner!

There is the idea that ocean currents are more calm and night and so lower flow at night in our reef tanks better simulates the natural habit of corals. Does it matter for all of our corals and livestock or just the shallow water corals? Are you buying it?

Do you think you should lower the flow in your reef aquarium at night time?

r2rxmas2018.jpg
I have my MP40s programmed to switch from Reef Crest mode during the day to Lagoon mode at night and drop the flow rate by only 10%. Seems to be OK, fish and corals are doing fine.

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can also be flat calm in the middle of the ocean at any given time. 40 miles offshore is still near coastal. I spend 6 months a year on a ship and the worst weather always seems to be at night with all things equal such as swell direction, fetch and water depth. On a reef in shallow water near coastal ya probably calmer at night. However we try to keep the ship away from the reefs.
Sounds cool and dangerous stay safe. I knew I was right.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back