Should we SLOW our FLOW at night time in our reef tanks? Are you?

Do you lower your water flow at night time for your corals/fish?

• YES

Votes: 254 37.1%
  • NO

Votes: 417 61.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 13 1.9%

• Total voters

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOAH, slow your flow there partner!

There is the idea that ocean currents are more calm and night and so lower flow at night in our reef tanks better simulates the natural habit of corals. Does it matter for all of our corals and livestock or just the shallow water corals? Are you buying it?

Do you think you should lower the flow in your reef aquarium at night time?

r2rxmas2018.jpg
The ocean is does not turn itself on low after dark.

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drop my flow a bit at night (apart from a few quick bursts of high flow to keep detritus from settling). Does it replicate how the actual ocean works? Of course not. But neither does a lot of what happens in my reef. Is it better or worse than keeping flow consistent day and night? I don't know. But I do have good growth and healthy fish/coral, so I see no need to change anything now.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, I just got back from Maui and after a week and 300 beers on the balcony, it sure looked like everything was calmer overnight.
I have peer reviewed this comment and I agree that the balcony is calmer than the waves but that degree of freedom is independant of the beers.

Normally, the speed of the earth around the sun is what causes the sun to rise and set if you measure speed at the equator, at night, with the beers that were consumed on the balcony before the investigation.

Science is truth. :)

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ocean is does not turn itself on low after dark.

But due to diurnal heating of landmasses, the surface of nearshore waters is usually more calm at night.

Note: this doesn't mean that underwater current is reduced. Just that surface agitation is lessened at night.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting revtree on this one how the pole is actually close compared to the usual one way swing of things. This topic may be a little more debatable.

For me yes the flow is killed at night with my waveboxes from tunze having the light sensor on em
D

Wasabiroot

FW Convert and now Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, I just got back from Maui and after a week and 300 beers on the balcony, it sure looked like everything was calmer overnight.
Kihei area? That island is my favorite besides Kawaii. Hope you had a relaxing break. Nice pic

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have my flow pump dialed down to 10% at night, from 85% day time. doing so fish cant relax better and corals can catch things in calmer water. I also do believe that most reefs are calmer at night in the oceans.

Privateye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand slowing it down for fishes and other organisms with peak metabolism during the daytime, but I do not believe this is natural. It may be what they would seek naturally, but the natural flow rate in an area does not depend on the time of day. The moon cycle is not just a daily pattern. You get the strongest tides when it is closest to your location, but also when it is on the totally opposite side. Then there are full moons, new moons, and everything in-between. Day and night has far less bearing on the local water velocity. Just check some local tide charts over 1 month and you'll see what I mean. There are super highs and lows at various points in a day.

If you keep nocturnal organisms the opposite would probably be true. A lot of this is speculation though. I wouldn't expect any small flow change to make any large difference.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have peer reviewed this comment and I agree that the balcony is calmer than the waves but that degree of freedom is independant of the beers.

Normally, the speed of the earth around the sun is what causes the sun to rise and set if you measure speed at the equator, at night, with the beers that were consumed on the balcony before the investigation.

Science is truth. :)
I'll have to try and figure out what you just said over a 6 pack later on.

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ha ha .
the killer guard penguins hold
The water and stop us from climbing over the ice wall .
Haha. I'll gladly have just about any conversation with any person...when it comes to flat earthers I just have to walk away. There's nothing anyone can say to convince those people otherwise

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha. I'll gladly have just about any conversation with any person...when it comes to flat earthers I just have to walk away. There's nothing anyone can say to convince those people otherwise
Entertaining at the least ……
Everyone needs something to believe in .
There was a Facebook group I followed years ago strictly for entertainment purposes .

the odd part . How nasa kept
This secret from everyone for so many years and only documented it with flat earth society p

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Entertaining at the least ……
Everyone needs something to believe in .
There was a Facebook group I followed years ago strictly for entertainment purposes .

the odd part . How nasa kept
This secret from everyone for so many years and only documented it with flat earth society p
As a land surveyor that utilizes GNSS satellites, planar projections, and gravity models on a daily basis I find it pretty amusing. The idea that for a thousand years we've been struggling on how to place accurate horizontal distances from a map on a curved earth and vice versa has all been just for show is hilarious. My life would be a lot easier if I didn't have to deal with scaling laser distance toput a road in the right spot.

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I turned the thread from tank flow talk to a science fair lol. Glad everyone had fun. I just got some bigger powerheads actually for my new 75g long tank. I got some 800 gph ones because I don't think the 480gph ones will be enough. Same brand I got last time. 2 of them was $23 aquaneat brand.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 77 37.9%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back