Should we use modeling clay to help with designing our aquascape?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm working on designing 2 aquascapes in the near future, and it got me to thinking about creating mockups of the designs for the aquascape. In the past, when stacking rocks was the primary method of aquascaping, it was a bit like working with large puzzle pieces with very specific shapes, so I get why it was best to use the actual rocks for creating the scapes. However, now with things like NSA and HNSA methods, not only could we use something else to create the design first, it actually seems like a smart idea. After all, those little pieces of rock don't just stack...you have to glue them if you want them to stay in place. This not only seems like a lot of work for the design process, it also seems like you might be working against yourself since you're having to commit to shapes before you actually get to see them.

I know some people draw out their scapes before putting them together. So there's at least a 2 dimensional representation of what they're aiming for, and this certainly makes sense to me. I like to begin things with the end goal in mind. However, I've been thinking a bit about this, and it seems a 3D model would be a better option. This is especially true in cases like mine where both of the scapes I'm designing are going to be for peninsula tanks which will be viewable on 3 sides. So...

I've decided to try using modeling clay. I picked up a 5 lb. pack of modeling clay for $16.56 on Amazon. I'm thinking this should work well for trying to build different types of structures and shapes and playing around with ideas in ways that allow for quick changes (certainly less permanent than gluing pieces together first) and even maybe multiple options to show as ideas for comparison. I'm wondering why this isn't more of a trend.

So what do you guys think? Good idea? Bad idea? What are the difficulties I might encounter with this? What am I not thinking of? What might help?

Here's the modeling clay I'm gonna use:

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used a bunch of lava rock to make a small scale version of a layout I wanted. Once I was happy with it's look I started moving things around in the tank to generally fit that layout. It worked beautifully.

Instead of a new SPS only tank I moved everything not SPS to the left and SPS is on the right. This method came in very handy for me anyway.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the challenge would be then matching real rock to your clay rendering.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think the challenge would be then matching real rock to your clay rendering.
I thought about this, but I think with the newer methods of using small pieces of rock to craft a large scape (a la NSA or HSNA), it will make it easier to match. Also, I think it'll be important for me to have a realistic expectation of how close an approximation I'll be able to get to the original design. It certainly won't be exact, but I'm thinking I should be able to get close...and I figure it'll be at least as close as I could get through trial and error matching with the actual rocks and then trying to recreate whatever forms I liked best. I'll definitely document as I go, and this may be a failed experiment in which we learn why NOT to make a clay mockup. Haha!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interesting to see how this plays out!

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking forward to seeing your clayscape though!
I'll definitely show it once it's done. I may even have a few versions to have the community vote on.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How long does it take for modeling clay to fully harden out? Couple of weeks i guess?
Not sure. I'm not really looking to let it harden though. The idea is to create a mockup before trying to duplicate it in the actual rock.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moldable reef rock that you could shape like clay then cure would be an awesome innovation.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I've started working with this to create concept mockups for the new waterbox 25g aquascape. Once I find a design that I really like, I'll break up the live rock that I've got from my previous reef and create the scape to mimic the concept.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NSA and HNSA are not a lot of work. This took me 3 hours and less than $100 worth of materials (including rock cost) by using the rock powder and super thin CA glue (bob smith instaset). Reinforced at the base with 3 sticks of 2 part epoxy and covered epoxy with rock powder and glue to hide joints (instant ocean brand blends in best)

Attachments

• 20220504_193718.jpg
    20220504_193718.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 20220504_193706.jpg
    20220504_193706.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 20220504_193653.jpg
    20220504_193653.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 38

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back