Should you quarantine peppermint shrimp?

beginner_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got 2 peppermint shrimp and 2 clownfish from our LFS. We have them in a quarantine tank together. Can we put the peppermint shrimp in our DT or do they need to continue to be quarantined? Do they carry diseases and bacteria that could transfer to our DT? Brand new tank that has nothing but sand and rock for now.

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible that inverts carry ich or other parasites to the tank, though it is unlikely, especially for very motile ones like shrimp. So it'd be a gamble, but if you end up needing to treat the clownfish for any reason, you would have to move the peppermint shrimp either way.

OP
OP
beginner_reefer

beginner_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible that inverts carry ich or other parasites to the tank, though it is unlikely, especially for very motile ones like shrimp. So it'd be a gamble, but if you end up needing to treat the clownfish for any reason, you would have to move the peppermint shrimp either way.
That's what worries me is transfering something to the DT that we can't see!

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They won’t carry a parasite, that’s for fish.
The risk is small.
If your still worried, give them 48 hours in QT, then move, so if there was a parasite, it will have fallen off.

Sarcazian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So take out media and carbon and dose reef rally?

That's what I do personally. I also do a few pre-steps before I start Rally. Dunk / drop in 4 containers of water before they get into QT. Times vary on how long, but usually no more than a few minutes each step. I scrub the corals and plugs with a toothbrush along the way.

Corals get a ~15% H2O2 dip mixed with RO water for 15-60 seconds depending on what it is. Softies I stop at 15, LPS normally 20-30 and the rest only the plug. This step definitely beats up some things... Then corals get a seachem reef dip (iodine) dip for about 30 minutes.

Then I leave inverts / corals 8-24 hours before starting Rally to make sure things are healthy. LPS/coral get pellets, general tank gets reef roids/etc along with a full dropper full of bright coral amino. QT is less than 4 Gallons.

Seneye watches the ammonia/temp/water level and I top off as needed. Tank gets a 60-80% WC (from DT) every 1-1.5 days until Rally and Seachem is done. Not sure if that defeats the Rally or not since it just says treat for at least 3 days.

The tank glows incandescent green with Rally and it's kind of creepy.

I do not have any rocks in my QT, but I do have a sponge and dose MB7. It's probably not necessary though since I watch ammonia with the seneye and try to do a WC at around 0.50-0.075.

OP
OP
beginner_reefer

beginner_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I do personally. I also do a few pre-steps before I start Rally. Dunk / drop in 4 containers of water before they get into QT. Times vary on how long, but usually no more than a few minutes each step. I scrub the corals and plugs with a toothbrush along the way.

Corals get a ~15% H2O2 dip mixed with RO water for 15-60 seconds depending on what it is. Softies I stop at 15, LPS normally 20-30 and the rest only the plug. This step definitely beats up some things... Then corals get a seachem reef dip (iodine) dip for about 30 minutes.

Then I leave inverts / corals 8-24 hours before starting Rally to make sure things are healthy. LPS/coral get pellets, general tank gets reef roids/etc along with a full dropper full of bright coral amino. QT is less than 4 Gallons.

Seneye watches the ammonia/temp/water level and I top off as needed. Tank gets a 60-80% WC (from DT) every 1-1.5 days until Rally and Seachem is done. Not sure if that defeats the Rally or not since it just says treat for at least 3 days.

The tank glows incandescent green with Rally and it's kind of creepy.

I do not have any rocks in my QT, but I do have a sponge and dose MB7. It's probably not necessary though since I watch ammonia with the seneye and try to do a WC at around 0.50-0.075.
Very good info! Thanks!

Sarcazian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very good info! Thanks!

Absolutely and good luck!

Keep in mind I am using 35% food grade H2O2 diluted to about 15% ( 1/2 H2O2 and 1/2 RO). You would not want to do that with inverts or at least I have not personally tried it with them.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 77 37.9%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back