Should you Really be so Scared of Hitchhikers?

Sonatine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS carries live rock, but the chunks were too large for me to really do much with them in my tank, and between that and cost, I went with mostly dry rock. I did include a piece of live rock as well, though. If it came with any hitchhikers, they're of the microscopic variety. The snails have brought in some pods at least.

I think it's pretty cool that my tank will eventually have surprises, living critters that I didn't add intentionally.

I'm concerned about bad hitchhikers, though, but for kind of weird reasons. Especially if it's some type of shrimp or crab! They may be easier to catch, but what do I do once I catch it? I don't have a sump to throw them in (not enough space). I don't want to kill them. :frowning-face:

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't some shops get rock from Australia once in a while in the States?
Yes, there is a place semi-near me that does get a bit. But it is extremely limited and a lot of the goodies are gone by the you get it, as in not survived. The gulf stuff seems to have a bit of everything, clams, dusters, mantis shrimp.....

Mikey-D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have on standby an order from Tampa Bay Saltwater that includes rock, sand and critters. I have found "This is the Way" and im eager to see this thing coming alive and taking on a life of its own with minor intervention, cleaning and proper maintenance.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, there is a place semi-near me that does get a bit. But it is extremely limited and a lot of the goodies are gone by the you get it, as in not survived. The gulf stuff seems to have a bit of everything, clams, dusters, mantis shrimp.....
That's disappointing that there's die off... really thankful I'm a lot closer to the reefs like we try to imitate and have access to shops selling that live ocean rock

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm concerned about bad hitchhikers, though, but for kind of weird reasons. Especially if it's some type of shrimp or crab! They may be easier to catch, but what do I do once I catch it? I don't have a sump to throw them in (not enough space). I don't want to kill them. :frowning-face:
That's easy... I feel the same way. Just create another tank! I have a 3 gallon that is just for nudi's

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since 1971 when I started my tank I have been putting whatever I find that is interesting right into my tank. I still do. No problems yet but very natural.

One of my collection places. And if I am collecting Tuxedo urchins, I dress for the occasion.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I don't believe we import rock anymore. Tonga rock. Fiji rock. Pukani ect. All gone. A myth. A rumor. A has been.
What is live rock? Really as a hobbyist and aquarist you have 3 options. Completely dry. Live rock from the gulf or flordia storm rock or u can get the already cycled rock from the lfs that they have had sitting in warm circulated salt water. O and than the sand deal thing. Is it live in the bag? Off the shelf? How longs it's life shelf expectancy? Huh? Who puts a time limit on life?!

Congrats ur coming to the realization most old school reefers know. Just sayin
D
This is why I plan and try to currently capitalize on where I currently find myself in life and the opportunities it's given me which would be rare/expensive/difficult logistics wise in most other places...come to think of it, that should be applied to much more than just reefing

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've used both live and dry rock to start tanks. My next one will probably be a mix of both (just because I already have a bunch of dry rock on hand). IME unless you rigidly QT everything you put in your tank, you will eventually get some unwanted hitchhikers in your tank that you will have to deal with (Btw, I'm pro-QT).

KRains

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have lots of experience with wild caught live rock. I used to order transshipped rock from the South Pacific 15 years and and more recently ordered the eco friendly man made stuff from Florida. They have always come with lots of life. All kinds for coral to macro algae to porcelain crabs etc. I have also gotten the occasional mantis and pistol shrimp and dozens of gorilla crabs. Intially i seeded a tank and let it go. Lots of growth but soon the hitchhikers grew and killed lots of money worth of fish. Now I always quarantine to be safe. It’s worth it if you have the money and space to cure / quarantine for a while. I actually converted my last big order to an octopus tank after cure. That’ eradicated all hitchhikers in the 10 months he was alive. I added some peppermint shrimp after that to deal with aptasia. I wasn’t afraid to add to the display after that and so no other problems.

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the rock, maybe all, of the rock coming in is from the gulf. The gulf doesn't have wildly invasive aiptasia species, monstrous mantis, or really any of the big scary stuff the old Fiji did. I think the fears back then were overblown. Now saying severely overblown is an understatement. The worst things coming in on gulf rock is tiny mantis shrimp that might nail a few snails and tiny stone crab. Both are easy to get rid of if you choose to.

My opinion is diversity of life in a reef tank and mystery microfauna is half the fun.

The facts are diversity of life in a reef tank is key to stability and success.

As Daniel said, most things will get in your tank over time anyways. Bristle worms, mini feather dusters, hair algae, etc. Will all find a way in. A balanced and stable ecosystem keeps these things in check.

Attachments

• 20220717_175925.jpg
    20220717_175925.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 45

TopClamSkoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm
Got live Aussie rock from unique corals.
Unfortunately, the rock seems like it has no life and everything died except the pods, worms (good kinds), and 1 pistol shrimp.

Anyone have any critters appear later down the line? I'm hoping some larvae are hanging out in the rocks only to reveal themselves one day when they grow!

I do love hitchhikers even tho we have to deal with the bad ones.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm
Unfortunately, the rock seems like it has no life and everything died except the pods, worms (good kinds), and 1 pistol shrimp.

Anyone have any critters appear later down the line? I'm hoping some larvae are hanging out in the rocks only to reveal themselves one day when they grow!

I've heard good things about it...here's a similar thread I posted not long ago with a few members discussing Australian live rock

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many people seem to start their tanks with all dry rock and sand mostly out of fear of hitchhikers which from my experience and the many others I've talked to, getting an actual bad hitchhiker seems to be a rare occurrence. I feel like so many new reefers are missing out on getting a great headstart into the hobby while also avoiding a large part of "the uglies" when they go the sterile all dry route. I just was hoping to start a dialogue to dispell some of the rumors associated with the terrors of possible hitchhikers so newer reefers might consider using live rock to set up a tank (there are many benefits). So what do you guys think? Should people really be as concerned as they seem over common hitchhikers?
I have never thought of "being afraid" of hitchhikers, more just "being aware" of the possibility that something incompatible with the livestock already in my tank might come in with live rock. The best practice is to inspect any rock very closely before adding it to an established tank...

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I don't believe we import rock anymore. Tonga rock. Fiji rock. Pukani ect. All gone. A myth. A rumor. A has been.
What is live rock? Really as a hobbyist and aquarist you have 3 options. Completely dry. Live rock from the gulf or flordia storm rock or u can get the already cycled rock from the lfs that they have had sitting in warm circulated salt water. O and than the sand deal thing. Is it live in the bag? Off the shelf? How longs it's life shelf expectancy? Huh? Who puts a time limit on life?!

Congrats ur coming to the realization most old school reefers know. Just sayin
D
Actually Australia liverock is still readily available in the states if you don’t mind spending the $$.

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm

I got some of the unique corals rock and it came with pistol shrimp, some types of worms, feather dusters, zoas, and palys. I expect more to show themselves over time.

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was one of those ppl who started w/dry — fear of hitchhikers but also cost. Then I gave up on sterile b/c it didn’t make sense and added some maricultured corals. The tank is much healthier for it but in came the hitchhikers even though I dipped.

So far the hitchhikers I’ve found have all been cool critters, except for one small Eunice I had to get out. I have a trap in tonight for a large bristleworm I saw the other night, mostly b/c it is too big for my liking, but if I don’t get it I’m not too upset. These zombie idiots won’t leave the trap alone, and have been at it for hours now — there’s six of them there — so I’m thinking traps are maybe for the birds and the worm will end up staying.

F3099E15-6A1D-4EF2-9701-3EE3494846A1.jpeg

CK00020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Kp rock in my 120 and had a boatload of hitchhikers, caught the last mantis only a couple months ago. Buyer beware it’s going to have some stuff in it, namely shrimp, eunice worms, curliqe anemones and urchins. Cool stuff to watch until you figure out that it’s gotta go!
I like the diversity with live rock and am ordering more shortly.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back