Shout Out: Your return pump and should it auto shut off or not if it runs dry?

When it comes to your return pump would you rather....

• .....it shut off with an alarm if it is running dry

Votes: 657 89.5%
  • .....stay on with alarm if it is running dry

Votes: 77 10.5%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's time for another SHOUT OUT and poll! :p

The owner of Abyzz Pumps asked a question and I would like to help him out and get a consensus!

When it comes to your return pump would you rather the pump auto shut off with an audible alert if the pump runs dry for an amount of time or would you rather the pump keep trying to pump with an audible alert as well?

There are many different scenarios where you could lose equipment or your livestock either way you choose but what do you prefer and why?

A400-mit-ACS_1280x1280@2x.jpg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would rather it turn off. If it stays on and runs dry it risks burning up, and that could be worse for your tank. As long as the powerheads in the display are running things should be ok for a little while :)

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have many layers of redundancy to prevent the main pump from running dry, but if they were all to fail (really only in the event of a catastrophic tank failure) and the choice was to run dry or shut off - shut off!!!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a level switch install that shuts the return pump off plus other equipment when the sump get to a certain level so that the pump does not burn up from being dry.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd rather it shut off, but I would want redundancy built into the sensor that determines if it is running dry, or a means of overriding it.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just replaced my tunze topoff pump {8-mo}because of running dry...Im guessing :confused: I would not want my abyzz to run dry....IF I had one;)

link81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sure why you would ever want a pump to run dry. that's a pretty good way to destroy most pumps.....
unless aquarium pumps are somehow different.... but i'm pretty sure that they're still water lubricated bearings and (if external) the seals are water cooled and lubricated.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never really thought about it because if my return pump starts running dry, I have other much larger problems.

but i'm pretty sure that they're still water lubricated bearings and (if external) the seals are water cooled and lubricated.
For awhile I manually topped off and if I let it go too long the return would cavitate, but like Link81 mentioned water would most likly still be present to cool. ..then agian most that can afford an Aybizz dont have dumb $#!+ problems, and have redundancy or back up top offs/pumps ect.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But keep in mind, depending on sensor design, this may effect sensor, see picture.

I have learned, through trial and much error, not to rely on a single sensor. Anything that apex controls is informed by at least two, sometimes three redundant sensors. Probably close to 90% of the alerts I get from my apex are a result of sensor problems - not actual problems.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back