Show Me Pukani and Marco's Aquascape Pictures

Upstartreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefer

I am in need of some guidance. I am gearing up for my 220 gallon build and there is one thing I simply can not make I mind up on and that is pukani or marco rock.

I thing that both rocks are great I have used pukani before and loved it. I have heard nothing but good thing about marco's. I think they both can make awesome aquascapes. At this point its all about the aesthetics for me.

So please everyone who has put together a scape with these rocks post some pictures. Help me make a choice. Also the pro and con of the rocks.

Thanks

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marco Rock
IMG_0858.JPG

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used both pukani and marco--ordered both from them. Love it and I love the mix of the two for textures.
20170925_140636.jpg

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mixture of rock in my tanks. Reef Cleaners rock (similar to marco), pukani, branch, and shelf rock. It's all great for acuascaping just make sure any dry rock originating from the ocean goes through a curing process to remove organics. I used aquaforest stonefix to secure my rocks together.
c2b6c98ad953a165dd1efb36659e83cc.jpg
fb2a57042c293a43ea104a88a0fb2e92.jpg

OP
OP
Upstartreefer

Upstartreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mixture of rock in my tanks. Reef Cleaners rock (similar to marco), pukani, branch, and shelf rock. It's all great for acuascaping just make sure any dry rock originating from the ocean goes through a curing process to remove organics. I used aquaforest stonefix to secure my rocks together.
c2b6c98ad953a165dd1efb36659e83cc.jpg
fb2a57042c293a43ea104a88a0fb2e92.jpg
I hope I can get my tank to look half as good as your two. Great job! I will not be using any live rock on this build. If I use the pukani from my old system I will be curing it for months because our new home will not be complete for at least 4 months.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope I can get my tank to look half as good as your two. Great job! I will not be using any live rock on this build. If I use the pukani from my old system I will be curing it for months because our new home will not be complete for at least 4 months.

Thanks. I spent a lot of time making some rough sketches of what I wanted the scape to look like. I then decided on the height limit for the scape in each tank to give corals room to grow. I felt the most important part of my scape was to focus on keeping an ideal environment for corals and fish and then I started to make some choices on ascetics. The best advice I can give is take your time. Gather all of your scape materials together and spread them out in one area and slowly start to build your scape outside the tank using tape lines on the floor or cardboard mock ups that are the same dimensions as the display. Then if you think you like what you have assembled stare at it for a few days to a week and look at it every day. If there is something you don't like then modify it or tear it all down and start again. I am sure your scape will turn out great.

OP
OP
Upstartreefer

Upstartreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I spent a lot of time making some rough sketches of what I wanted the scape to look like. I then decided on the height limit for the scape in each tank to give corals room to grow. I felt the most important part of my scape was to focus on keeping an ideal environment for corals and fish and then I started to make some choices on ascetics. The best advice I can give is take your time. Gather all of your scape materials together and spread them out in one area and slowly start to build your scape outside the tank using tape lines on the floor or cardboard mock ups that are the same dimensions as the display. Then if you think you like what you have assembled stare at it for a few days to a week and look at it every day. If there is something you don't like then modify it or tear it all down and start again. I am sure your scape will turn out great.
Thank for the advice and the reassurance. This what make this forum so great.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've bought from Marco's, Reefcleaners, and most recently, from Billy's Reef Connection. Honestly, I can't tell the difference. Could have all came out of the same mine.

With this wide, shallow tank, I was looking for a minimalist rockscape. Eventually, I want a fair number of LPS and Clams... wanted plenty of open sand. I requested big chunks, I basically got 6 rocks, in 60lbs. The one darker rock was Marco's, and from my old tank. I eventually added one more big chunk, to the far left (in this pic) end. No glue, just leaning on each other. System is about 4 months wet now, it's been stable enough.

Here's a shot of my latest from Billy's reef, just after finishing the rockwork.

NoLightFTS3.jpg

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

65cementing
by Kyl, on Flickr

Marco rock - I only did it like this to try and hide the Aqueon overflow that bulges into an off-center back of the tank. When I eventually get away from that tank, it will be more free-flowing which is why I did some of the "joining support" areas with cyanoacrylate glue, it's easy to shear and break apart. We can't really get pukani in Canada easily anymore, but I didn't like the look of what was available when we did.

No complaints other than how heavy the rock is, so you need to make sure it's a solid structure. One thing I would do differently is get some of those prime cut pieces that are flat on one side, and use them as the structure base.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back