Show Me Pukani and Marco's Aquascape Pictures

Ben Henwood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking a Reef Savvy when I was look for a tank manufacture to build my tank they make the phantom bottom.

Im pretty sure that the "phantom bottom" that they put in their tanks is the same thing as starboard. There are several manufactures that have pretty much the same thing in the bottom of their tanks. It seems like some sort of thick plastic sheet that they lay down.

Ive seen people (on the internet) go to Sams Club and buy large chef cutting boards and trim them to fit and silicone them to the bottom of their tanks. Its all pretty much the same idea.

OP
OP
Upstartreefer

Upstartreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im pretty sure that the "phantom bottom" that they put in their tanks is the same thing as starboard. There are several manufactures that have pretty much the same thing in the bottom of their tanks. It seems like some sort of thick plastic sheet that they lay down.

Ive seen people (on the internet) go to Sams Club and buy large chef cutting boards and trim them to fit and silicone them to the bottom of their tanks. Its all pretty much the same idea.
I will be adding the star board. It will be worth it for the extra protection. Thanks

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have to agree. To get one custom cut on the web page you gave us it would be $250 shipped. To save a catastrophic failure with falling rocks. It would be worth it.
For what it's worth, I used 2" PVC unions to set the rocks on. Pretty cheap for a dozen of them and I put them under rocks low points so they rest on the pvc and not the glass.

OP
OP
Upstartreefer

Upstartreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
f2a8dbdc9a4c74896a7daa5915a72ae0.jpg

This is from my revamp of my old 75 gallon.

OP
OP
Upstartreefer

Upstartreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put my pukani Rock in the tub yesterday to start the curing process. I think I'm going to do a mixture like most of y'all are talking about. Probably buy some Marcos or something similar and maybe some Tonga branch just to add some diversity and get the scape that I'm looking for.

Keep them pictures coming still need a lot of ideas. Thanks for the ones shared already.

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgive the single light lol! Second should be here Tuesday. All Pukani except for two cerameco "barnacles." Roughly 100 lbs. not sure I'd really want to fit much more in there. I have more rubble pieces in the fuge that I'll move over.

8fee1b157c28592e00f4f7f52464b5c1.jpg

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking good.
Thanks, hard to see but there are caves underneath nearly every rock. And passageways through most of the rock as well. The rocks are place on 2" PVC unions pushed down into the sand and on the glass. This keep the rocks off the glass bottom and also prevents cave ins from sand dwelling/burrowing creatures. I sometimes feel like it needs more rock but honestly don't see where I would want to add any. Besides the fuge lol!

OP
OP
Upstartreefer

Upstartreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Radman73 I am pretty much decided that I am going to do a mix of pukani , marco rock, and marco shelf rock. I already have 75lbs of pukani curing right now and will order the marcos rock soon.

I have plenty of 2x4's and plywood around from our home being built I am going to do a tank mock-up with it. So I can take these 3 or 4 mouths waiting on the our home to get done to make my scape.

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very creative. Looks great!
Thanks. Because the tank is essentially a cube, the rockwork presents a challenge as far as flow is concerned. Two WAV's on the back wall, each pointed to their opposite corner seems to work the best for random currents . These pics were from back in April, the rockwork is now darker and getting covered in coralline algae.

Reefersutherland_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have pukani for reference, but each of those cemented pieces was probably 15lbs, or it at least felt like it. The one thing I don't like is pressure points from an amount of heavy rock on the glass, and as noted if I could do it over I would pick up some pieces of the marco rock that's cut flat on one side to serve as the base.
Egg crate on the bottom distributes the weight effectively

Reef4Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a combination and is still in progress. Maybe 80 pounds of Pukani along with 40 pounds of Carib sea base rock and 110 pounds Fiji shelf rock. In progress.,,

BDB1FA16-5C6A-46E0-B14B-A355DC8B7D50.jpeg

0DC34147-9D67-4170-8246-8249830EA948.jpeg

71510DE6-2640-4023-884B-59F3B2606A28.jpeg

kamike91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Either is good. My old tank was all Marco rock. But I liked the look of Tonga because it makes nice branching structures, so my new tank is 90% tonga. My tank has been through a lot of neglect as you can see though lol.
992166b4d0fa76b23047e0d412fc180d.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back